Anyone ever painted the back of their tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone ever painted the back of their tank? I'm thinking about painting the back of my tank a dark dark blue because that plastic stuff doesn't stay on very well and has to be wiped down from time to time. I heard about someone painting their tank and thought it was a good idea so I really wanna try it. My questions are, does this actually work? I know paint will peel nice and clean off the bottom of a paint bucket but how will it peel off glass?? Will it peel off at all in the even I decide I don't like it? Everyone's opinion will help

I have not painted the glass but I can tell you if you want to know if the color works, spray paint 1/4" foam board and place it at the back of your tank. If you dont like the color you can keep trying until you have what you want.

I have the color I want, I just want to know how its going to work on glass

I've used latex rolled on and spray paint on tanks and both has worked really well. It can chip if you hit or scrape it too hard. Can be easily removed with a razor blade.

I was in ur position a few weeks ago, use acrylic paint, and a sponge paint roller, give it a few layers of paint... It comes off so easy u might wanna keep some paint spare to touch up

I paint all of my tanks. It stays great. Do 3 or 4 coats to be sure light does not show through it.

I used spray on plastidip. It's just like spray paint but peels off if you don't want it anymore. It's more like a plastic coating than a paint. To peel off you may start it with a razor blade. But then just start peeling it off. But like other spray paints, there is a strong odor to it when you apply the coats. It's also very tough. People coat their auto rims with this stuff.

I painted my 125gal and it worked out great. I used glass paint for my first layer and then I did 3 or 4 coats of acrylic paint on top of the glass paint. Good luck!

Anyone ever painted the back of their tank? I'm thinking about painting the back of my tank a dark dark blue because that plastic stuff doesn't stay on very well and has to be wiped down from time to time. I heard about someone painting their tank and thought it was a good idea so I really wanna try it. My questions are, does this actually work? I know paint will peel nice and clean off the bottom of a paint bucket but how will it peel off glass?? Will it peel off at all in the even I decide I don't like it? Everyone's opinion will help

I didn't have a great experience painting mine and it took me three hours picking it off. It can look lovely when done right. My tank looked lovely until I put my light on and I found my blue paint turned looked brighter and there were black marks or cracks forming. I think black would be best as it will hide any bad workmanship. Whatever you do, forget what the previous guy said never use a sponge roller to paint your tank as it will bubble up and good luck sorting that out

I watched this before i painted it, and thats why i used the sponge roller.
HOW TO: paint an aquarium background - YouTube

I used a sponge roller mate and as I said it bubbled up and it took me hours to get it back off. I went back to a brush after noticing the bubbles and flattend them all out. Once it was dry it looked great. Put my light on and all of a sudden the bubbles had left there Mark and it was horrible.

Would anybody suggest using a fibrous roller as apposed to a sponge roller or brush?

So I went to the store and bought a quart of the darkest blue paint I could find and look how it turned out lol

image-977579393.jpg

I was aiming for a DARK DARK blue to make it look like you were peering out into a dark under water abyss. But i dont think its gonna turn out the way hoped. Guess I'm going back to lowes and asking them to dump a load of black into my bucket of blue paint lol

Back
Top Bottom