Anyone here go fishing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys ,

I use to go fishing when I was a kid. However since I started keeping fish I just can't bring my self to go fishing . I know the cycle of life and blah blah blah. But since I have noticed that each fish has their own personality I cann't just view them like I use to.

Has fish keeping did this to anyone else ?

I tend to do catch and release on occasion. I prefer to use a dip net but I have used a fishing pole for larger species.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have been traumatized since I went with my dad and he threaded this tether through their gills to hang on to them in the water until we were done so they wouldn't die and rot before we left.

Unless you're going to chop the head off right away, I'm against it. At least for myself. Can't do it.

Sent from my iPhone

I am an avid bass fisherman, always have been, if anything its the fishing that got me into the planted tanks.. i like the idea of having a little mini ecosystem in my home.. I've stocked one of my tanks to resemble a kettle pond in Cape cod. Catch and release, bass always get a kiss before they go home:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I started fishing and keeping fish about the same time so it's a draw for me. I have made a living doing both( breeding fish and making fishing lures to catch fish.) I believe, what made me a better aquarist was the need to understand the wild fish's habits in order to catch them. What made me a better lure maker was my understanding of what fish need (in a tank) to survive so I could understand better how to catch them in the wild. I'm not sure if one begot the other first tho. lol

I do draw the line at eating fish that I have kept in an aquarium. I don;t want to see a slab of Oscar fillet on a plate even tho I have been told they taste better than Bass. lol Most of the marine fish I've kept are eaten in many countries but I just can't bring myself to doing it. It was a real eye opener when I went to the local Fish markets in Belize and the Bahamas. I saw more "aquarium" fish than I thought I would have. Goes to show you, we keep in little glass containers, fish that grow big enough to eat those containers. :^o Isn't that little red tail cat so cute??? :D

I like the idea of fishing.... Sitting on a shore/boat with a beer enjoying a sun rise... (I know I said beer at sun rise) No screaming toddlers or barking dogs or a cat shoving his butthole in my face. Wait. When can we go? I can be ready in 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone

I like the idea of fishing.... Sitting on a shore/boat with a beer enjoying a sun rise... (I know I said beer at sun rise) No screaming toddlers or barking dogs or a cat shoving his butthole in my face. Wait. When can we go? I can be ready in 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone

Hahah I hear you.. hate waking up to kitties butt holes on my cheek

I love fishing but really only to see the fish I catch lol. I only catch and release when I do however because I don't like killing stuff, however I have nothing against that (like fishing and hunting for food, not condoning murder lol). Catching and eating it and using the fish like God intended is perfectly fine by me. I love seafood and stuff but if you catch, kill and throw back then that's not right at all and you should be punished, by a higher authority than the police or game warden hint hint. not to start any secondary arguments, really don't go as far as this sentence with it, but a large number of Japanese companies catch and kill sharks only for fins and then throw the bodies back. I hate that.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Used to fish nearly every day before work for a stress relief. New job won't allow it haven't been in about 2 months. 95% catch and release. I just love the fight. Nothing more relaxing than standing on a beach at 6:30 AM as the sun is coming up fighting with a shark or a good size red.

I love fishing. Live on the river I usually only keep my catch when I go deep sea fishing. Aquarium keeping hasn't affected my fishing life only encouraged it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My neighbor, a Koi farmer, told me he gets nervous when he sees me outside with a fishing pole in my hand. He knows I make fishing lures and hopes I'm not "field testing" a new creation in one of his ponds. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :facepalm:

Bass fishing is second in my life only to fish keeping! I go at least 3 times a week.

May the force be with you.

I'm mostly catch and release but if you are going to kill a fish, use the whole fish for food.

Sent from

Fishing in golf courses is cheating;) we both know those bass would bite at anything.. got any gum?

I fish a lot, and started when I was 2. Right now we don't have a boat, so i fish alot on our paddle boards. On them so far my biggest fish was a pike a little over 30 inches. Sadly i didnt get much of a ride cause he hit my craw right below the board. My grandparents also have a cabin on a lake with very good bass fishing in WI. We fish for them 6-8h a day in my uncles boat. And sometimes we go for walleye. This year there have been walleye, smallmouth, and 10" perch coming into a 9-10' flat at night and feeding on mayflies. Sadly, all my trout flies, which included the mayflies, were left at home so i couldn't fly fish for them.

Hey guys ,

I use to go fishing when I was a kid. However since I started keeping fish I just can't bring my self to go fishing . I know the cycle of life and blah blah blah. But since I have noticed that each fish has their own personality I cann't just view them like I use to.

Has fish keeping did this to anyone else ?

I'm pretty sure research has been done and shown that the only pain fish feel is the first piercing of the hook, and after that its just a tugging coming from their mouth. This is just one thing I've found that makes fishing ok from your perspective.

Back
Top Bottom