Anyone Know Anything About These Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw these on Ebay.

Are LED's all the same when looking at Lumens, Kelvin and Watts?

LED Pent 72" 0 5W Timer 6500K Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant Tropical Fish 280X | eBay

I want plant a larger type tank and thought these looked like a good bargain.

Any thoughts?

Well the kelvin rating is good.

Im not familiar with this fixture but generally LED fixtures that use 0.5Watt LEDs are not so good as ones that use 1watt LEDs

I may be wrong though as im no expert. Wait for others to chime in.

The fixture certainly looks smart and may be ok for lighting requirements for a lot of plants. Not sure if it would be suitable for the more advanced plants in the high light category

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I'm not sure either. I figure for $135.00 it's worth a stab.

Those .5 Watters arnt going to do much but light up the tank.. extremely low light for plants..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For that price you could get a finnex ray 2 or planted plus which are great fixtures for the money. Before you pull the trigger on that one look at the finnex line of LED fixtures. Many users here have them on their planted tanks with great success like brookster.

For that price you could get a finnex ray 2 or planted plus which are great fixtures for the money. Before you pull the trigger on that one look at the finnex line of LED fixtures. Many users here have them on their planted tanks with great success like brookster.

thanks for the input. The pic of your tank rock.

I am curious, what would you recommend? I am not set on LED's as the cost is still pretty steep.

I am setting up a 125g 19 inch from substrate. I am looking to do something similar to your tank.

Thanks...

Those .5 Watters arnt going to do much but light up the tank.. extremely low light for plants..

Thanks for the help here.

What would you recommend for a 125g planted community tank, low to med light?

LED's are pretty steep, so I will probably go with other.

thanks in advance.....

.5w per LED, 280 diodes, that's 140w of combined illumination. I wouldn't say extremely low, but probably not quite medium, either. If there's a return policy, it couldn't hurt to try it out. Some of these types of lights end up being much brighter than you'd expect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks for the input. The pic of your tank rock.

I am curious, what would you recommend? I am not set on LED's as the cost is still pretty steep.

I am setting up a 125g 19 inch from substrate. I am looking to do something similar to your tank.

Thanks...

sorry rocks not rock lol

I ended up buying 2 Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights from Amazon.

Thanks for the tip.

Filter and lights will be here Tues so I can get things going.

.5w per LED, 280 diodes, that's 140w of combined illumination. I wouldn't say extremely low, but probably not quite medium, either. If there's a return policy, it couldn't hurt to try it out. Some of these types of lights end up being much brighter than you'd expect.

Remember its not all about watts per gallon anymore

Of course. That's why I bought something with 90+ PAR, at about 80w over 36“. Unless that fixture just has absolutely abysmal PAR, due to a very poorly designed 'reflector', or more than 120° focus, it's going to put out decent light.

A 36" finnex+ uses 0.1w diodes, and has 204 of them, putting it around 27w. Even doubling that, and PAR aside... you see what I'm getting at.

Of course. That's why I bought something with 90+ PAR, at about 80w over 36“. Unless that fixture just has absolutely abysmal PAR, due to a very poorly designed 'reflector', or more than 120° focus, it's going to put out decent light.

A 36" finnex+ uses 0.1w diodes, and has 204 of them, putting it around 27w. Even doubling that, and PAR aside... you see what I'm getting at.

I think im right in thinking you have the same fixture as me? Bml xb??

These fixtures offer the best PAR ratings out there. What is the wattage on their individual LED's?? I think they use a mixture of 1 watt and 3 watt LEDs. My fixture uses a total of 32 watts i think. So not to dissimilar to the finnex fixture you quoted. Fair so far??

That finnex doesnt stand up to the bml at all on the PAR charts. So i think its fair to assume those higher wattage LEDs penetrate the water far better than the 0.1watt ones or 0.5watt ones.

This is how i based my original comment to do with that fixture possibly not being all that. Although the PAR data isnt published as far as i can see so theres no real way of knowing.

(Friendly discussion. Not in any way meant to be taken as argumentative lol)

I'm pretty sure when it comes.to leds... 140 total watts of .5w diodes vs. 3w diodes is a far different par scenario.. briannano? ?
Op, you should be very happy with finnex, i know i am..

Look into buildmyled.com also. Impressive web site, they really know planted tanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think im right in thinking you have the same fixture as me? Bml xb??

These fixtures offer the best PAR ratings out there. What is the wattage on their individual LED's?? I think they use a mixture of 1 watt and 3 watt LEDs. My fixture uses a total of 32 watts i think. So not to dissimilar to the finnex fixture you quoted. Fair so far??

That finnex doesnt stand up to the bml at all on the PAR charts. So i think its fair to assume those higher wattage LEDs penetrate the water far better than the 0.1watt ones or 0.5watt ones.

This is how i based my original comment to do with that fixture possibly not being all that. Although the PAR data isnt published as far as i can see so theres no real way of knowing.

(Friendly discussion. Not in any way meant to be taken as argumentative lol)

:popcorn:

You will love the planted +. Very good light for the money

Mines similar to the Dutch XB; I did a custom fixture that virtually matched the XB, but adjusted the LED order (didn't want the cyan or red LED's blocked by the center support). You're correct in that they use a combo of 3w 6700K and 1w colors. A lot of the PAR on BML lights is due to the emitters themselves. A generic diode blasts light in a fairly uniform pattern, 360° around. This kills PAR. Lemme see if I can scrounge up some more data on the fixture mentioned in the OP.

So apparently that's a Beamswork fixture. Here's a comparison of the Beamswork vs. Planted+. He flips off the Beamswork around 3:30 mark. I'd say that's a good amount of light. Definitely much more than the Planted+. Planted+ of course has red LED's and much lower base wattage.

Back
Top Bottom