Anyone know what these are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a mini brittle star die a week ago and suddenly all of these things pop up. They look like baby mini brittle stars, but could they be hydroid jellyfish?

Attachments

• image-248159032.jpg
    image-248159032.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 189
Hard to tell from the pic. Could they be asterina stars or do they have soft tentacles?

They are defiantly not those because it looks like they have almost hairlike limbs.

could very well be hydroids then. It is possible to get a closer shot?

This is the best ya gonna get.

Attachments

• image-858204284.jpg
    image-858204284.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 172
Yes, not good. I have never had them before, but to get rid of them, I have read they are tough to get rid of. You can use something like kalk paste or Red Sea Aiptasia X to get rid of them.

Yes, not good. I have never had them before, but to get rid of them, I have read they are tough to get rid of. You can use something like kalk paste or Red Sea Aiptasia X to get rid of them.

Like this

So I couldn't just kill them one by one? Also I heard they just go away on their own.

That would be killing them one by one.

And, Mr X's opinion is more valuable than mine on this :) I have never had them, just read about them.

There are multiple types of hydroids. The new tank ones we see here, and others. These I believe will leave as fast as they came without a trace.

As I've read the colonial hydroids are the ones you have to worry about these look like the medusa hydroids that I've had befor I saw them for a week on my glass then I haven't see any since. It was also right after I bought a piece of live rock! Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom