Apestacia <--(not sure if spelled right)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. It's been a while since I have been on. Anyway, I have this little anemone which I can say its name but I'm not sure how to spell it. Sounds like Ep-e-stay-sha. Anyway it's on a small rock with a little bit of Pulsing Xenya. I'm not sure what I should do. I have been eager to get some tweezers and pull it off but I've heard that it would only get worse. It's within a few millimeters of my Xenya. Can someone with experience please help. My only resort other then you guys would be to just sacrifice the little frag of Xenya and get rid of the rock altogether. <:/ Help save some little Xenya....Post your thoughts now... :'(

Attachments

• image-297430800.jpg
    image-297430800.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2462837648.jpg
    image-2462837648.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image-109398166.jpg
    image-109398166.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 120
Aiptasia. That's what it looks like. I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp, but then again, not all peppermint shrimp are created equal. :) You can also try a product called Aiptasia-X. I've had good luck with that as well. They sell it at most LFS's as well as the dreaded Petco. Hope this helps.

Peppermint shrimp are usually hit or miss in terms of eating aiptasia. I have never had any luck with it personally, but have been told there is a higher likelihood that they will eat it if it is small. If you didn't have, what looks like, a kenya tree on the rock I'd tell you to take the rock out and hit it with a lighter. Since that is the case, hit it with aiptasia-x. That stuff did wonders when I had a breakout in my tank.

Ive actually had sucess removing unwanted hitchhikers like nudibranchs and majano anemones and small Aiptasia with my turkey baster. I actually bought a nice strong one and have removed pests from polyps and rock with ease. they get sucked up and flushed without ever being smashed or hurt. I also use it to feed my anemones and fish. for those having trouble feeding anemones this works great, u can get the tip right into their mouth.

yeah aiptaisia, ya have a few options since its on a small rock with only a xenya frag, but whatever you do I'd do it with the rock outside of the tank, as the lil buggers when threatened can release a ton of spores into the water column, which means more. So I'd,

pull the rock, popp as much as you can off and hit it with a lighter or butane torch or
superglue the heck out of the area with the get, or
use a syringe with aiptaisa x, boiling water or lemon juice and inject right in the middle of it, or to be extra safe,

frag the xenia off the rock and dry the rock out or nuke it.

personally I like the butane torch idea, then rinse the rock in some tank water in a bowl outside the tank and put back in.

If you inject it with boiling water it should take care of it. Just dont smash it or try to pull it off with tweezers. You will have millions of them. I learned that the hard way.

I would like to thank you all very much for the input and answers. I think I will try some aiptasia-x and then if that doesn't work, I will use the fragging and lighter idea. Again, Thanks to you all!

Lane

Back
Top Bottom