API liquid test kit - Confusing ammonia reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercedes3681

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the beginning stages of fishless cycling my 10g tank.

My ammonia reading is a dark blueish color and nowhere near the greens on the results card. Does that mean the ammonia levels are off the charts?

I knew I added too much ammonia in the beginning (1/2 c.). I changed 25% of the water three days ago, 50% two days ago, then another 50% that same day again, I'm trying to dilute the ammonia and get it down to 4ppm. Today, even after all those water changes, my readings for ammonia are still the really dark blueish color.

What size tank is it? 1/2 cup is a LOT of ammonia.

Make sure you are using the right bottles for the test and then I would do a couple of 100% water changes to see if you can bring it down. For my 20 gallon I think I used 1 tsp or something.

Do a 100% water change asap. Wait an hour and retest. You may have to do a second 100% water change. A blueish color indicates your ammonia is off the charts high. Use the calculator below to figure out future ammonia doses.

Calculator

Oh no lol. I don't remember where I read to "start with a 1/2 c. and see what your readings are" when starting a fishless cycle. I just did a 100% water change, I'll see what happens and go from there. Thanks so much!!!

Nothing some water changes wont fix! The '1/2 c' was likely '1/2 cc' which is equivalent to 1/2 (.5) ml or about 8-10drops from a medicine dropper. :)

I think I only put a teaspoon into my 55G when fishless cycling from what I recall and the reading was also off the chart.

As JLK says simply do water changes till it comes down to the acceptable level for cycling (4 or something from what I recall).

I think I only put a teaspoon into my 55G when fishless cycling from what I recall and the reading was also off the chart.

As JLK says simply do water changes till it comes down to the acceptable level for cycling (4 or something from what I recall).

Do a 100% water change asap. Wait an hour and retest. You may have to do a second 100% water change. A blueish color indicates your ammonia is off the charts high. Use the calculator below to figure out future ammonia doses.

Calculator

Wouldn't 100% be overkill? Surely we want some ammonia to remain in the tank?

Wouldn't 100% be overkill? Surely we want some ammonia to remain in the tank?

When I had such off the chart ammonia, I did a 100% change and it was still too high. I did one more at 50% and it brought it down to 4ppm. I had originally added 1 3/4 tsp to 10 gallons and have since found that 1.5cc is the sweet spot. I wish I had known about the calculator.

I'm guessing there was plenty in the filter.

When I had such off the chart ammonia, I did a 100% change and it was still too high. I did one more at 50% and it brought it down to 4ppm. I had originally added 1 3/4 tsp to 10 gallons and have since found that 1.5cc is the sweet spot. I wish I had known about the calculator.

I'm guessing there was plenty in the filter.

That makes sense, thanks.

1/2 cc rather than 1/2 c.....yeah that makes more sense now that I realize how little you need! :facepalm:

I did a 100% water change and ammonia was at 2 ppm. I added 1/8 tsp today and it's right at 4 ppm. Thanks so much everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom