Api test kit help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if anyone has said yet, as I didn't read through the whole thing, but when your nitrate is that high, and not knowing how long it has been that high, big water changes can be a very bad thing to do. Smaller water changes are best. Google OTS (old tank syndrome) and you'll see what I mean.

mfdrookie516 said:
I don't know if anyone has said yet, as I didn't read through the whole thing, but when your nitrate is that high, and not knowing how long it has been that high, big water changes can be a very bad thing to do. Smaller water changes are best. Google OTS (old tank syndrome) and you'll see what I mean.

Yes it was mentioned. :) the OPs tap water also contains 20ppm nitrate.

Before my kit I was doing approx 80% PWC a week... That could have helped them? I can imagine it brought my huge nitrate down a little.
Everyone looks good.. Off to the 29 after a little fuel.. Tired & hungry! :)
Thanks sooo much again for walking me thru this. I feel so secure in knowing I'm doing the right thing..

10g after a 50% PWC last night and a B2B 80% WC today brought it to:

Ph- 7.4
Am- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 40 ppm (from 160!!)

This is my fry tank with 44 eight day old Dalmatian Mollies in it.. All doing well.
Will do another PWC tomorrow and retest

ocminpin said:
10g after a 50% PWC last night and a B2B 80% WC today brought it to:

Ph- 7.4
Am- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 40 ppm (from 160!!)

This is my fry tank with 44 eight day old Dalmatian Mollies in it.. All doing well.
Will do another PWC tomorrow and retest

Sounds good. :)

Okay... Took me one hour to complete 80% PWC on my 10g, 20g, 29g .... I'm so tired of water and buckets!!! HOWEVER it's well worth it to have healthy, happy fish... :) Nitrate test results coming in half hour...

do you read the test tubes infront of the white paper (next to the colors) or do you hold it out into the light and read it that way? My daughter said if you put it on the paper then it reflects the colors on the paper

HeatherW said:
do you read the test tubes infront of the white paper (next to the colors) or do you hold it out into the light and read it that way? My daughter said if you put it on the paper then it reflects the colors on the paper

I have looked both ways but noticed the shininess of the paper with the light mess up colors and confuse you... I hold up to light.. Seems more accurate

10g: 40 ppm

20g: 40 ppm

29g: 40 ppm

WHOO HOO!!!! Down from 160 the other day!

Im pretty proud of myself considering my tap has 20 ppm. I've never done so many water changes! Hoping tomorrow I can bridge to 20.. I'd be thrilled!

Thank you for all your help Mumma of 2 :)

ocminpin said:
10g: 40 ppm

20g: 40 ppm

29g: 40 ppm

WHOO HOO!!!! Down from 160 the other day!

Im pretty proud of myself considering my tap has 20 ppm. I've never done so many water changes! Hoping tomorrow I can bridge to 20.. I'd be thrilled!

Thank you for all your help Mumma of 2 :)

Yay!!! Well done!

Mumma.of.two said:
Yay!!! Well done!

Thank you!!
Guess it's time to look up drip acclimation for next time...
Thank God I have only lost ONE fish since I crammed 10 of various types into the 10g I got from Petsmart the same night I got the fish...
(that was 3 tanks ago!)

From those fish that night, after various rehomings I only have 2 of the original..
My male Dalmatian Molly Cesar who is about to come out of QT from the Camallanus worms and my male Platy...

My friend has been feeling sorry for me and got me a big ol 8.5 oz bottle of Prime.. She laughed saying it treats 2,500 gal..
Best $10 she ever spent! Haha

20g-- 40 ppm

10g-- 20 ppm
YAY!!! (this is only tank that had that extra water change the first night.. Others waited till next day)

I tested out of tap today out of curiosity cause the chlorine smell wafted out of the bucket way more than usual and it was at 40 ppm too! It was 20 the other day!
Did they treat the water at the plant today or what?? Gross..
I'm testing 29 g in a bit...

ocminpin said:
Heehee..... It got soooo quiet! I have 4 tanks in my living room.. LOL

Haha, that eerie kinda quiet!
It was that way til you remembered you were doing water changes and started taking to yourself about it! Or maybe that's just me.. :p

00youknowit00 said:
Haha, that eerie kinda quiet!
It was that way til you remembered you were doing water changes and started taking to yourself about it! Or maybe that's just me.. :p

Since i feel like I've done 50,000 water changes in the last 3 days I'm past talking and the frustration to BEGGING... LOL
Begging who?? Hmm the fish? The water? The bucket? The test tube?? Dont know! :-D

Back
Top Bottom