Api test kit help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ocminpin said:
Since i feel like I've done 50,000 water changes in the last 3 days I'm past talking and the frustration to BEGGING... LOL
Begging who?? Hmm the fish? The water? The bucket? The test tube?? Dont know! :-D

Its the principle!! ;D

My 29g showed 10 ppm!

How is this possible if my tap is 20 and earlier showed 40?
I was very careful with testing... Only thing different this time is it's been 5 hrs since PWC

ocminpin said:
My 29g showed 10 ppm!

How is this possible if my tap is 20 and earlier showed 40?
I was very careful with testing... Only thing different this time is it's been 5 hrs since PWC

I can only suggest you test again and compare results. Make sure you shake the snot out of the test solution and tube. Then wait exactly 5 minutes.

Re-read the Nitrate test specifically and follow the directions exactly. There is a step in there I don't think you're doing. I don't remember it exactly off the top of my head but its like this:

Shake bottles. Fill tube up. Drop bottle #1 however many times it says. Cork tube. Shake tube to mix up bottle #1 and water for time listed. THEN you drop in bottle #2.

I don't remember you mentioning the shaking between bottle#1 and bottle#2. It also says to shake bottle #2 for a full minute before using it.

I've only used the test once so far as I'm new to getting my own aquarium, but I remember that much.

Also: As for your tap water readings: If you run the water for a few minutes before testing you might find different results, and since you've been using so much water lately you may have flushed out alot of the bad things from your plumbing system and are now getting a bit fresher/less metal/ammonia'd water perhaps.

Anyways, my first post and I hope it goes well!

Arete said:
Re-read the Nitrate test specifically and follow the directions exactly. There is a step in there I don't think you're doing. I don't remember it exactly off the top of my head but its like this:

Shake bottles. Fill tube up. Drop bottle #1 however many times it says. Cork tube. Shake tube to mix up bottle #1 and water for time listed. THEN you drop in bottle #2.

I don't remember you mentioning the shaking between bottle#1 and bottle#2. It also says to shake bottle #2 for a full minute before using it.

I've only used the test once so far as I'm new to getting my own aquarium, but I remember that much.

Also: As for your tap water readings: If you run the water for a few minutes before testing you might find different results, and since you've been using so much water lately you may have flushed out alot of the bad things from your plumbing system and are now getting a bit fresher/less metal/ammonia'd water perhaps.

Anyways, my first post and I hope it goes well!

Hi Arete :)

You may have got it!
I fill test tube to line tank water, shake both bottles 2 mins.... Drop bottle 1 in tube, drop bottle 2 in, cap, shake 2 mins, sit 5 mins exactly and read.
I haven't been shaking tube between bottles... :-0

This is probably a stupid question...I also got a test kit for Christmas (yay!) and I noticed that you mentioned the red tabs on the bottles. They were giving me heck, so I cut them off. Were they supposed to stay on the bottle?

Definitely do NOT cut them off.

They are meant to kept the caps on the chemicals as they are quite poisonous from what I read in the directions.

There is a red band around the cap, and it has a raised portion on one side. What this does is "click" into the grooves of the caps themselves. If you grip the bottle with one hand, and press down on one side of that raised portion you can then twist the caps off normally. It takes a few tries but once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy.

whoops!!! already cut the dang things off! I don't have small children, so I think I'm okay. I'll know better next time, thanks :)

Sisserydoo said:
This is probably a stupid question...I also got a test kit for Christmas (yay!) and I noticed that you mentioned the red tabs on the bottles. They were giving me heck, so I cut them off. Were they supposed to stay on the bottle?

Haha... My hands hurt and burned SOOOO BADLY That first night from bottle caps on and off. My fingers were half rubbed raw.. Fortunately I read the safety cap instructions on day 2 LOL and managed to get them to work normally...
:)

20g after 85% PWC

Ph-- 7.4
Am-- 0 ppm
Nitrite-- 0 ppm
Nitrate-- 40 ppm

Still unable so far to bring it under 40 ppm..
Tap has average of 20 ppm

I'm in the same boat as you with high nitrates from tap. I'm going to try Purigen from Seachem to see if it helps. And more plants.

Hholly said:
It's this: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

You put a bag of it in your filter and it's supposed to help with nitrates.

Is it safe? Haven't heard about it before. After battling ignorance ;-) and the Camallanus Worm (and WINNING with one fish!) I'm afraid to do anything that will harm any of the fish. Would be interesting to find out more about it.

There are a lot of reviews of it on Amazon. Seachem is a pretty good brand name. So I'm trying it.

WHOO HOO!!
Just tested my 29g and it is:

Ph-- 7.4
Am-- 0
Nitrite-- 0
Nitrate-- 10!

Last PWC was done 3 days ago.
IT ISSSSSSS POSSIBLE! :-D

Back
Top Bottom