API Test Tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having a big problem with the fill lines on the API Frestwater Master Test Kit's tubes wearing off. I am down to two tubes now. I read somewhere that you can just use a syringe to fill them, and that it will be above the fill line and more accurate. Is this true? Does anyone else do this? Why is the 5 mL line not really 5 mL?

yes you can use a syringe, it would be more accurate. i also think that they should be more accurate with their mark, but their not.

1 Teaspoon is also 5 ml. Just use that to make your own mark.

The hobby test kits are not really that accurate. There is no point sweating over 0.1 or 0.2 ml. I consider the kits to give only ballpark figures, and you can prob be off by 1 ml or more & still not change things. For NH3 & NO2, those are really good as yes/no test. If you are testing for zero, the amount of water you use is not too relevant. <And for pH, which is purely an intrinsic color reaction, the amount of water (or drops of reagents) used is not relavent. It only change the intensity of the color, but not the color itself. That is how litmus paper can test pH on any amount of water added to it ... no need to measure anything.>

If you cant get a syringe for your test tubes, try your local Pharmacy. You can use an infant medicine bulb, they are exactly 5ml. They are very accurate, being for babies.

You can also buy syringes from any pharmacy. A lot of times you can get oral syringes for free if you ask.

Back
Top Bottom