Apistogramma cacatuoides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reecers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
with my caring parents at the moment Oklahoma city
yea i saw another thread about these, but it didnt really pertain to what im planning, i have a 15 g tank and i have gravel but i have plenty of hiding spots and some driftwood and soon to add plants, would a pair of these be fine in a 15g with a few corys? also where is a good place to get these fish, im going to talk to my LFS but most of the LFS around here are saltwater, and there are only two in oklahoma city where i live... thanks for any help or suggestions as i am a newb :)

I know that I recently ordered fish from liveaquaria.com and was and still am very happy with my purchases and they sometimes have them in stock, but other than that i can't help you either.. washington state and we have no local suppliers of these fish either

Try aquabid, Apistodave has awesome Triple red Cacs.

This whole Triple Red thing confused me.

My LFS had them in a seperate tank from the other ones and was selling the more expensively.

The difference as far as i could tell was the interesting black/red patterns on the fins. But they talked as if they were a seperate species.

But from my reading i'm came to understand they were just a captive breeding variant/mutation.

From my own breeding of two "normal" types i got 2 of 16 surviving babies were the triple red type the other 14 the plain type. I am now breeding the two triple types to see if the fry are only this varient.

Its fun working out the genetics of fish traits. :p

Best Regards,

John

thx, yea i would love to get more into this, but i have a huge list of priorities just like any other 19 yr old male lookin to do somethin with his life, but this is definetly on that list, any suggestions on taking care of them in such a small tank? and making it look natural?

hi again,

this is my breeding tank which i'm winding down now ive had it and the 10G predessor running for a few years now.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...convert-into-coldwater-river-tank-103947.html

The best way to get them breeding ive found is simply provide suitable breeding spots. In my case i used a couple of small clay plant pots (which came from cactus) covered in some suitable aquarium safe pebbles.

When the female breeds (about one a month) she will go into hiding for a week or so, only coming out to get food. Then one day you see her out of her spot with 40 odd wrigglers, darting about and hiding at the slightest disturbance.

The more fish you have in the tank the more she will be *****y and chase them off. Fun to watch for a while but generally annoys the rest of your fish.

A few cory's should be ok but since they are ground fish there are less places for them to run so make sure your breeding spots are at opposite ends of the tank so they can goto the other.

I also found the breeding female was much happier with lots of plants, thus giving her a better sence of safety.

I've also read that these cichlids, like others, feel more secure with "dither" fish. Ie a small group of tetra's or something else small which reasure them there are no predators about by their calming presence.

Cac's only live a couple of years, one of the reasons they breed so fast :), so after my second brood I decided to keep a couple growing up to replace losses. I also bought in another one to make sure i wasnt inbreeding too much.

But this 2 female 1 male dynamic wasnt too great for my 20G as you often had both females breeding at the same time with some inter brood genocide going on.

Expect your broods to go from 40 odd fry to about 20 - 10 survivors. After a while the female will let them go/loose interest in them and you probably won't see the survivor's again for months unless you seperate them into a fry only tank to grow up.

I had mixed sucess with a fry only tank. It had no furnishing, a sponge filter and was alot of work to upkeep for limited visual fun. Also the fry in that tank developed alot of genetic mutations for were not sellable to the LFS.

The fry i grew in the actual breeding tank were fine, so i think the mother taking care of them actually leads to better stock. Or at least she weeds out the bad ones.

Overall one pair in your 15G will be fine, maybe even 2 females and one male if you want a better view of the more agressive side of these fish. But for rearing fry stick to one pair.

Best Regards,

John

so what do you mean by genetic mutations

on the fry that grew up in the seperate tank i had lots of the surviving ones with deformed gills, stunted growth, stunted fins. some of those who looked normal into young adulthood got crooked spines and were unable to swim properly.

generally that and the extra maintence of the extra tank made me make my mind up to just grow future broods in the more competitive main tank.

John

Back
Top Bottom