Apple snail is sick - cottony stuff on him

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all! My apple snail, whom I've had for about two months (bought from PetSmart) seems to have a problem.

He started his life in a 4 gallon. Upgraded to a 6.6 and then moved into a 20G. He's always been housed with guppies and then tetras. The past several days, he hasn't really come out of his shell. When he gets nipped (and it's really just a light touch), he clamps up for quite a while, while my other two apple snails just seem to shrug it off and carry on.

I have moved him to a quarantine tank and treated last night with pimafix. He's not eating (that I can tell) and he's usually kinda half-out, but all crumpled up. He has white cottony stuff that seems to appear on him every day, but I remove it with tweezers. He is alive, at least for now.

Water quality is fine, temp is fine. He's not floating.

Any ideas? I got him when he was about quarter-sized. So, not a baby, not fully grown. He's grown a lot since he's been here with us.

callisto9 said:
Hello all! Happy to be here, but sad for the reason I'm here. My apple snail, whom I've had for about two months (bought from PetSmart) seems to have a problem.

He started his life in a 4 gallon. Upgraded to a 6.6 and then moved into a 20G. He's always been housed with guppies and then tetras. The past several days, he hasn't really come out of his shell. When he gets nipped (and it's really just a light touch), he clamps up for quite a while, while my other two apple snails just seem to shrug it off and carry on.

I have moved him to a quarantine tank and treated last night with pimafix. He's not eating (that I can tell) and he's usually kinda half-out, but all crumpled up. He has white cottony stuff that seems to appear on him every day, but I remove it with tweezers. He is alive, at least for now.

Water quality is fine, temp is fine. He's not floating.

Any ideas? I got him when he was about quarter-sized. So, not a baby, not fully grown. He's grown a lot since he's been here with us.

Hi, I had a snail that acted the same as yours closed shut when one of my fish tried to nip him while my other two girl's completely ignored it. You,ve done the right thing removing him all you can do is give plenty of clean water. The white slime is normal & they do produce more when they,ve been nipped to help them heal. Sorry I'm not much help but I hope he improve,s :)

Thanks for your input. I can't find much on the internet about how to treat a sick apple snail or what his problem might be.

I tested the parameters of the quarantine tank today and all's good in there.

I even joined an apple snail website, but no responses yet.

I just wish I knew what to do. :nono:

Thanks again.

callisto9 said:
Thanks for your input. I can't find much on the internet about how to treat a sick apple snail or what his problem might be.

I tested the parameters of the quarantine tank today and all's good in there.

I even joined an apple snail website, but no responses yet.

I just wish I knew what to do. :nono:

Thanks again.

Good luck

Could their be something in the water irritating him? Sometimes that can make them produce more slime. Wonder if the med you put in could be causing irritation?

Here's a pic of him from better times:
IMG_6343.JPG

Sick times: :nono: He's not really that faded though. Bad lighting.
sick%2520snail.JPG

callisto9 said:
Here's a pic of him from better times:

Sick times: :nono: He's not really that faded though. Bad lighting.

Poor wee guy :( I'm not too sure it's maybe been down to him being nipped? One of my snails was like that wouldn't eat or move. I hope he improve,s for you sorry I'm not much help.

Thanks. I'm clueless, too. He's been nipped before, and never too hard, well, at least it doesn't seem that way to me. He's been in this tank for a few days now and doesn't do anything at all.

Thank you for your support.

Unfortunately, no better.

I joined the apple snail site and posted there and have a suggestion to try, so I'm going to try that tonight. We'll see what happens.

Thank for your concern! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom