Aptasia and bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Practically overrun by both. Can't add shrimp, tried that and they ended up as dinner and there are too many to attack one at a time. Dwarf lion and purple dottyback won't allow anything else too coexist. About to just donate fish to lfs and get some shrimp and establish a better clean up crew before starting over on fish. Any better ideas?

I know copper banded butterflies work wonders with aptasias..maybe look Into getting one of them..

Yes the copper bandeds are reef safe. But there not an easy fish to keep. And I feel a 55 is to small of a tank for one. Try joes juice and with the bubble algae, you need to pick them off the rocks without popping them. It's really no that hard start a syfin with small tube and syfin the water near the bubbles and push them of the rock carefully with a straw or something not sharp. It will take time but its the best way.

Get a matted filefish. They are very peaceful and large enough not to be someone's dinner. They love algae and aiptasia.

image-2850843716.jpg

image-3899149390.jpg

image-4192817596.jpg

I would rather start over w peaceful fish than work around the two fish that are in there.

Copper bands are not always reef safe. It's a 50/50 chance just like angel fish. You can try them but be prepared to maybe have to exchange it for another one until you find one that doesn't pick at coral. Best chances are to return the fish you have and try some shrimp and copperband.

Back
Top Bottom