Aquaclear 110 on a 25 gallon?>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alkane

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to change out my power filter and I have an old aquaclear 500 (now called 110). I was wondering if this is going to be too much for my tank. I assume it will be.

If it is too powerful, are there any mods I can do to reduce or spread the flow.

Thx for the help :fish2:

It is a bit large for that tank. However you can put a sponge over the intake to slow down the flow. What kind of fish you have in the tank? Some fish are more sensitive to flow than others.

6 rummynose. Eventually some apistos once the tank gets more seasoned. It will be heavily planted once everything grows up.. hoping this will help break some of the current.

Alkane said:
6 rummynose. Eventually some apistos once the tank gets more seasoned. It will be heavily planted once everything grows up.. hoping this will help break some of the current.

Yeah for apistos I wouldn't they hail from leaf littered slow moving streams they as a species aren't fans of strong current. I keep canister filters or sponge filters with mine with reduced flow rates and they do excellent. Rummys enjoy some current though.

Discusapisto said:
Yeah for apistos I wouldn't they hail from leaf littered slow moving streams they as a species aren't fans of strong current. I keep canister filters or sponge filters with mine with reduced flow rates and they do excellent. Rummys enjoy some current though.

Cool thanks. Dunno if I can keep up good enough water quality with a sponge filter and unless I can find a used canister filter it will be out of my budget for a while. I was thinking about attaching a ramp to the aqua clear or some sort of perforated horizontal pipe to spread water flow.

Do you have a c02 system in your apisto tank? If so is there enough circulation?

Well weekly water changes will solve any water quality issues filters are there just for the in between water change times. I keep all my apistos in a breeding rack in 20 gallon longs I only have one planted show tank with them in it it's a 40 breeder with co2 pressurized with a canister filter and they do great and so do my plants they pearl all day. Check yard sales or craigs list I just picked up two used fluval 304's canisters the other day for a friend on craigs list for 40 bucks for both and they work just fine. Keep your eyes open you'll find a deal somewhere I'm sure. But a nice over sized hydro sponge filter works wonders if you are really worried about flow add a power head on top of the sponge filters tube, but the apistos like it a lil calm. If you run power filter just slow it down like you mentioned you should get that to work out nicely.

Awesome that helps thank you!

So water movement is good. I just don't want to see any of the fish fighting the current?

I'll try to get the current right before I add the apistos. I plan to do 2 10-15% weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom