AquaClear vs Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Poking to get a new HOB filter for my 20 gallon and I'm between the aquaclear 50 and and the fluval c4.

Anyone that has either of these please input on sound and quality.

I know the aquaclear has bioballs, sponge, and carbon filter media while the fluval has a small wet dry. Can anyone tell me the benefits and downfalls to each.

Also what exactly is a wet/dry and what does it do?

Newbie trying to get all info possible

For my tank I use a Fluval C4. At first it made a strange noise but evened out. For filtration I vote 4 out of 5 stars.

I have an Aquaclear. It's pretty quiet and it seems to be doing its job. I also like how you can adjust the filter rate - I turn it down while I feed so my fish can get to and see all the food.

I have an aqua clear 50. I have to agree, it seems to be doing the job. Very quiet with just a nice sound of the water spilling into the tank. No complaints from my family.....they say that it is actually soothing!

I myself have an aqua clear 70 for my 55. I really enjoy the flow adjuster when feeding and recomend it everybody I can. I also find that almost all stores have aqua clear filter media. I have a small elite hush for my ten gallon and the filter media is almost impossible to find. when I do find some I buy enough for six months. Before you make a purchase make sure your lfs will always have the filter media for me that is the deal braker. I am planning on upragading my elite hush to an aqua clear 30.

Thanks very much guys! You have been really helpful! I think I'm going with the aqua clear. I really like the thought of being able to change the flow when feeding. That's great! I do love the sound of the water spilling from the first so I'm fine with that noise! I just hate the hum of the filter. Petco seems to hold all media for the aqua clear and I was also able to find it on line.

Now another question. Do I use all three filter media's at one time? The bioballs the sponge and the carbon filter? I know to only replace one at a time when I do have to but do I use them all at the same time?

I'm a newbie myself but from all the reading I've done on here everyone says the carbon isnt necessary. It loses its "stuff" rather quickly anyway. Also you don't need to replace the filter media, just rinse in old tank water. Replace when its falling apart :)

You got it, I've never used carbon in any aquarium filters. It is not really needed IMO. You were also correct: just rinse the filter media off in the old tank water and don't replace it until it is literally falling apart. (y)

Yes, You do need to use all the filter media at the same time the aqua clear has three types of filtration
Mechanical= sponge (look the aqua clear up on youtube there are good vids about their)
chemical= activated carbon
biological= bio balls or Biomax
(you can also buy ammonia remover media etc but not necessary)

I myself do use the carbon imo fish that are less hardy need it to remove extra toxins that they have trouble tolerating. I also resomend that you don't skip on changing the filter media when recomended the spong loses integraty theorefore more debris can go through and the bio max's mini holes get clogged and you loose biological filtration capacity. and the carbon simply gets old and no longer does it's job

I like to go by the saying that the cheap pay twice (remember that your filter is your aquarium's lifeline so please don't cheap out)

ps good decision on going with the aqua clear.

you can also adjust the flow rate on the fluval c4. You adjust the flow rate the same way as the aquaclear, same design. If your tank has a wider rim go with the fluval. Both are good filters

Sorry calfishguy, but I have to disagree. Not to cause an uproar, but I strongly believe carbon is really a waste of time and money. Granted it can be useful when you need to remove meds from a tank, aside from that it is a waste IMO. Myself and tons of other people have never used it and have kept sensitive fish. Just post a thread and I'd be willing to bet that 80% or more of members on here don't use carbon in their filters on a regular basis.

You can change filter media as often as desired, but it is silly to change out filter media every month. I've got some that I've had for a while and my water is still crystal clear.

When it comes to cheaping out, get what you can afford. If you can afford an AC or Fluval, go for it; heck if you want the ultimate filter get a canister. I personally am a college student and I'm on a tight budget. Therefore, I will take a $15 Aqua-Tech filter from Walmart any day. They still filter the water and haven't had a single problem out of the 5 different AT filters I have.

I don't change my media every month I change media evey three months. imo carbon should be part of every aquarium's filter but do what you want the probs you will experience will be yours not mine.

Yes that is a use for prime but carbon makes sure that all of it is removed. Unless you know how much chlorine is in your water it is good to have a backup IMO. Prime alan only remove a certain amount of chlorine so it is hard to judge how much you need to add.

Carbon might remove some chemicals to a certain extent. However, once it hits maximum holding capacity it could start leeching it right back into the water. Who's to say when it has reached maximum capacity?

I believe the benefits of carbon as far as protecting the fish from toxins is little to none. It may actually take non-toxic compounds out of the water that fish/plants appreciate.

Very u sure about the carbon now! My two tanks both have a carbon filter and it seems fine. Idl though. I mean manufactures make it for a reason correct? Maybe I'll do one see how it goes and change to the other if I have to? Idk! Lol. I myself am a broke college student and aren't looking to put as much as a canister into it but I do want enough filtration for my tank. I've heard the fluval is louder than the aqua? Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom