AquaClear vs Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that is the problem I have with my heater in a 2.5 hex. Darn thing takes up too much room! I have nothing but good things to say about that filter though. It is just a superb filter and I've never had a single problem with it.

adadkins1 said:
Yeah, that is the problem I have with my heater in a 2.5 hex. Darn thing takes up too much room! I have nothing but good things to say about that filter though. It is just a superb filter and I've never had a single problem with it.

Awesome! Thank you!

Pump for my 20 gallon was ordered last night! With a pack of extra sponges to replace the carbon filter and have it on hand just in case I need to use meddling or get rid of tannins.

Yay! Aquaclear 70 arrived today! Going to hook it up and run it along side the terra whisper to get it seeded with bb. I'm still trying to cycle is adding the new filter now going to mess this up?

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Yay! Aquaclear 70 arrived today! Going to hook it up and run it along side the terra whisper to get it seeded with bb. I'm still trying to cycle is adding the new filter now going to mess this up?

have you considered just running both of them at the same time forever?

rreekers said:
have you considered just running both of them at the same time forever?

I did but my reason for buying the new one is I hate the Tera cuz it hangs inside the tank and it drives me nuts! Lol I was gonna get the aqua 50 but then to make sure I have enough filtration I got the 70.

I'd just run them both for a couple weeks or a month and then just go with the AC70. You don't want your tank to be like mine when I first started. I had two 30g rated power heads and a 30g rated HOB filter on a 10g tank. It was like a dishwasher.

meegosh said:
I'd just run them both for a couple weeks or a month and then just go with the AC70. You don't want your tank to be like mine when I first started. I had two 30g rated power heads and a 30g rated HOB filter on a 10g tank. It was like a dishwasher.

Haha! Poor fish were probably getting tossed around every where. Ok going to out it on now and then just run it for about a month and get rid of the other one! Lol

Just bought 2 fluval c4s you can get them on amazon for like 43 a peice way cheaper than in stores.. I run aquaclears now on my tanks but have been researching the fluval for a while.. Just search fluval c4 on YouTube they have some good review and breakdown videos on them there..

I run two Aqua-Clear 50's on my 28- gallon bow front tank and I have to "look" at them to make sure they're running and they are very gentle on the fish with very gentle water return.

Fluval is also another great filter. I would like to have a Fluval canister filter but I don't have the space!

Both Fluval and Aquaclear are manufactured by Hagen. I like them both equally. IMO the Fluval HOB filters just have a little bit better features like the extra biological filtration. They both seem to give you your money's worth.

Aqua-Clear and Fluval

Both Fluval and Aquaclear are manufactured by Hagen. I like them both equally. IMO the Fluval HOB filters just have a little bit better features like the extra biological filtration. They both seem to give you your money's worth.
When I first got back into the fish keeping hobby (after almost 35 years without an aquarium) I only knew of one local pet store: PetSmart. They sell only the Aqua-Clear HOB filters and the Fluval canister filters. Since I am limited in space under and around my tank I went with the AQ's. I have since found a LFS who sells the Fluval HOB but until (or if) my AQ's poop out I don't plan on replacing them since they are so similar. If I had more space for a larger aquarium I would use a Fluval canister filter.

MR

Remember that carbon removes chlorine, chloramine, and gases that make your water smell bad.
Calfishguy, you have a common misconception about Activated Carbon and its use....Though this post I'm refering to is not of current date it is important to know and understand (1) Activated carbon will remove smells from water, but will not remove chlorine, or chloramines for the water column...Never will remove them.
(2) Activated carbon will not break the Chlorine Ammonia bond that makes up the compound of Chloramines. Never breaks that bond.
Prime the product will break the bond and 100% remove chlorine, and convert active ammonia into a safe form but still removeable by bacteria in a cycled tank... None of what I say is in my opinion and all is supported by numerous site on the internet, but don't believe you can find even one site to support this misconseption that Activated Carbon removes chlorine or ammonia. PP

The extension tube on the aquaclears are pathetically short. I have an AC70 running next to a Marineland 150 and the Marineland's intake tube goes several inches closer to the substrate. The AC70's intake tube doesn't even come close to the substrate in a 40b, which is not a tall tank in the first place. I shouldn't have to buy another part just to accomplish this task especially since Aquaclears are some of the most expensive HOB's on the market.

Calfishguy, you have a common misconception about Activated Carbon and its use....Though this post I'm refering to is not of current date it is important to know and understand (1) Activated carbon will remove smells from water, but will not remove chlorine, or chloramines for the water column...Never will remove them.
(2) Activated carbon will not break the Chlorine Ammonia bond that makes up the compound of Chloramines. Never breaks that bond.
Prime the product will break the bond and 100% remove chlorine, and convert active ammonia into a safe form but still removeable by bacteria in a cycled tank... None of what I say is in my opinion and all is supported by numerous site on the internet, but don't believe you can find even one site to support this misconseption that Activated Carbon removes chlorine or ammonia. PP

After a two second google search I found a link that supports what I said about activated carbon. it does remove chlorine from water.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Activated_Carbon

absorbs chlorine from water, or if your tap water contains chloramine, it removes the chlorine and leaves ammonia behind. Removed this extract from site posted...that alone suggest it breaks the chloramine bond, but note it doesn't remove ammonia it leaves it behind. That is a good thing for chlorine kills bacteria used in cycling your tank, and it takes 48 hours to work at the removal...it is not instantanious. Prime on the other hand does work immediate to both break the bond and remove the chlorine,and issolate ammonia to a safe form for bacterial removal. Use of the word absorbs should be clarifide as it means over time...to assimilate and all over time. Do you really want to subject your cycle bacteria to chlorine even for one hour, and how much ammonia will your bond break leave behind....I was wrong to say it won't break the bond, but I was not condsidering these actions over a prolonged period of time...sometimes I forget researchers don't consider prolonged time...sorry for that error. PP

I wish to make a final closing on the Activated Carbon statement...I tend to use infatic wording like "Never" and that alone sticks my foot in my own mouth everytime. I like Activated Carbon in specialized use only because it builds a beatiful bacteria collection that is thrown away in a short amount of time. I have heard it can be reactivated, but no-one is successful or it would only have to be purchased once. When in use it is a good water polisher and removes medications (slowly). Carbon doesn't work fast meaning within a couple of hours and usually over a period of days. It will remove water tint for those interested in keeping the tea look. Just to let you know I'm not one of those opposed to AC. I use anything that serves the purpose and provides care for the fish and it's home. PP

Back
Top Bottom