Aquarium Cycling - Too Much Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No nitrites today. Ammonia color MIGHT have been a little lighter but it could be my imagination/wishful thinking. Continued evaporation to where I think I may have to top the water level off. Getting close to the submerge line on the heater.

I also recently did a Fishless cycle and am in day 29 now I think. Couple questions:

1) Did anything in your tank come from an established tank? (Do you know where the plant came from?)
2) What else is in the tank? (Picture?) Mostly curious how much surface area you have in the tank.

To answer #1, no. The plant was purchased at Petsmart. It's now brown with one leaf left.

I'll try to upload a picture I took when I first set the tank up. Only difference then to now is the plant.

Couldn't upload it but here's a link.

13119094_1301970353165020_7536630054862461552_n.jpg

I can take pictures if having something with the present condition helps.

Going to keep testing every day this week but definitely discouraging that nothing at all seems to be happening. At what point do I drain the tank and start over?

Properly cycling a tank can take as long as 30-40 days.

I am beginning to believe, those individuals who report 10 day cycle, (whether they realize it or not), have something in the tank that came from an established tank.

Since everything in your tank is brand new, you never had a chance at a 10 day cycle.

I would recommend, going to any fish store, and beg for anything from any tank that is established (been in the tank for more than 2 weeks, longer the better.) Bring it immediately back to your tank.

I don't have a problem with waiting the 30-40 days. But everything I've read says I should be seeing nitrites by now. That's my major concern at the moment, along with having to add more water (and thus possibly slowing the cycle down).

it may have stalled due to such high ammonia and no seed bacteria to kick things off.
I suggest doing a 50% water change and see what happens. The ammonia will still be high enough to feed bacteria, but not so high as to cause potential issues.

I've cycled rock starting with about 14ppm of ammonia, but I also seeded it with established media, so it didn't stall, was slow at first, but didn't stall.
If at all possible you should see about getting some established gravel/rock or filter media/floss from somewhere to kick start it.
the bottled bacteria is very, very questionable as to whether it really helps much, getting stuff from an established and HEALTHY aquarium is much, much better.

also don't get into the habit of "topping off" the aquarium. while needed in salt water to maintain salinity, it is a bad habit in fresh water as it leads to increased dissolved solids (TDS) and can have catastrophic results over the long term, especially if using tap water.

it may have stalled due to such high ammonia and no seed bacteria to kick things off.
I suggest doing a 50% water change and see what happens. The ammonia will still be high enough to feed bacteria, but not so high as to cause potential issues.

I've cycled rock starting with about 14ppm of ammonia, but I also seeded it with established media, so it didn't stall, was slow at first, but didn't stall.
If at all possible you should see about getting some established gravel/rock or filter media/floss from somewhere to kick start it.
the bottled bacteria is very, very questionable as to whether it really helps much, getting stuff from an established and HEALTHY aquarium is much, much better.

also don't get into the habit of "topping off" the aquarium. while needed in salt water to maintain salinity, it is a bad habit in fresh water as it leads to increased dissolved solids (TDS) and can have catastrophic results over the long term, especially if using tap water.

Thanks!

I've got someone else on another forum telling me to use the Tetra Safestart...but like you just said, I've read elsewhere that it's debatable on whether or not it works.

I'll give it until this weekend (since I'll have more time) and if no changes by then, do a 50% water change.

As far as topping off, my only concern was that the amount of evaporation seems excessive, to the point where it's near my water line on the heater. Thought I suppose I could always just move the heater lower.

Like you, I started my tank from scratch and did not have any seed material. My tank took 45 days to cycle!!! The waiting game was horrible but it WILL happen...just keep testing and waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom