Aquarium filter has an earthy smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately on fishkeeping my bio filter has started smelling like fresh earth?

It doesnt smell bad it smells like fresh garden soil.

The smell isn't so strong. My filter has a mild smell of fresh soil.

Ammonia appears to be normal. Nitrites are fine. Ph is regular.

I am using Fluval Water Conditioner: https://www.amazon.ca/Hagen-Fluval-...7417&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+water+conditioner

I do water changes twice a week.

Pls help:fish1::fish1::fish1:

:thanks:

Lately on fishkeeping my bio filter has started smelling like fresh earth?

It doesnt smell bad it smells like fresh garden soil.

The smell isn't so strong. My filter has a mild smell of fresh soil.

Ammonia appears to be normal. Nitrites are fine. Ph is regular.

I am using Fluval Water Conditioner: https://www.amazon.ca/Hagen-Fluval-...7417&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+water+conditioner

I do water changes twice a week.

Pls help:fish1::fish1::fish1:

:thanks:

It's normal. An "earthy" aroma is very common in tanks. However, if it's starting to stink then it's time to worry.

I wouldn't worry at all,I believe that an earthy smell is in fact a sign that your aquarium is in great shape

There is a "certain" odor I always got with a seasoned tank, I guess earthy is the word, you'll get most of that smell coming out of the filters as you clean them.
I think it's a good odor...well, for the tank that is.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A lake is a good description of my tank's smell, too. I'm glad this got brought up.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

It's normal. An "earthy" aroma is very common in tanks. However, if it's starting to stink then it's time to worry.

Agreed. Particularly if you have plants, an "earthy" or "vegetal" odor is normal. But of something smells truly rotten (that "aquarium smell" people complain about), then that's a sign of a potential problem. As well as being stinky. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom