Ques about API Tap Conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone use this?
https://www.amazon.com/API-Tap-Wate...&keywords=tap+water+api&qid=1610391926&sr=8-4

Can someone tell me why it has a gas smell to it?
I got it mid October and it expires in 2025. For the past few weeks it gives out a gas odor when I opened it. I have used it and it didn't harm the fish. But the smell of it turns me off. Should it be discarded? It didn't smell when it was first opened, and according to my size thank it requires only half a cap.

I use the same stuff. Just smelled mine because you said too. It's a chemical so it will have a smell. You are fine.

Yeah, I have several of that model too, but I have 2 of the smaller ones. One on a 55, and this one i did today is the 3rd filter on my 100g African cichlid tank. It's pretty heavily stocked. When I took the trays out it already had poop in the water inside the can. For the money, imo, you just can't beat those filters. I put a new o ring on it for 8 bucks and it's working great again. As a matter of fact, that's the only one of mine I've ever issues with

I use the same stuff. Just smelled mine because you said too. It's a chemical so it will have a smell. You are fine.

So you are getting that gas smell too? I was in the process of learning what to buy to condition the water, so I bought this too, but later was told by the person at the pet store that tap conditioner and quick start is essentially the same thing. So I'll stick with the quick start. Odd that the stress coat and quick start don't have that gas smell.

Hi all new and just getting started

I set up a new 17 gallon fresh water tank, I mistakenly added 5ml of the API tap water conditioner to the tank.
Will putting in 5ml be to much?
I also added Tetra Safe Start.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

The safety data sheet for api water conditioner says not to smell the stuff or get it on your hands. It is somewhat hazardous.
I avoid using any chemical except medication when needed and some plant fertilizer.

Think this was mentioned the other day. The gas smell is probably sulphur. It is this that complexes the ammonia.

I’m with Red. I don’t use chemicals at all. Not even conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom