Aquarium Guide Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've decided to write a freshwater aquarium guide book. I know generally what I should include, but I wanted suggestions from you guys. This thread will also be updated as far as my progress goes along the way. :angel:

Moderators: I wasn't sure where this thread should go, so I'm sorry if you have to move it. :ermm:

1st chapter-cycling fishless and fish in
2nd chapter-how to dose ammonia monnitor fish and test
3rd chapter-how to know when your done cycling
4th chapter-stocking different sized tanks and kepping the fish alive
5th chapter-planting
6th chapter-lights
7th chapter-Co2
8th chapter-recomendations on good sites to buy fish and get advise such as AA and forsyth aquatics

11th chapter: common stocking selections (along with minimum tank requirements to reinforce)

If you plan to include an aquatic plant info section, you will also want to do a section on macro and micro nutrients, and common symptoms/signs of each deficiency, in addition to the suggestions above.

13th plants intro
14th plant lighting
15th plant suggestions (and lighting/tank requirements)
16 Co2 and how to do it
17 nutrients and ferts

I think it is a fine idea... but rather than try and do a huge compilation, you may look in the articles section on the site here and see what is lacking. It could use some updating, and there are plenty of topics that could use additional articles and info. You can submit articles for review and potential publication on the site -- and it would be easier to focus on specific topics rather than try and tackle the whole ball of wax. Just a suggestion.

Aquarium Advice <---link to articles section

__

18-common low light plants(and requirements)
19-common medium light plants(and requirements)
20-common high light plants (and requirements)

Thanks everyone. I don't know much about plants, but that's what research is for. I did the intro and am going over the common types of aquariums right now. I was then going to do set up, which seems easy, but I had looked for step by step to make sure I wasn't forgetting something. I may just be obsessive though, lol.

I was then going to go over fishless cycling, and then fish in cycling. I was going to explain why a fish in cycle is a big no no as well.

I was also going to dedicate a whole chapter to bettas, becuase of the common mis care. And goldfish too.

So, I'll keep these in mind, maybe switching some things around, adding things together.

Also, about the articles, I'll see what I can do. I really just wanted to make a guide book with the most important things compiled together. I know that as a newbie that's what I had really wanted. But then, like I said, I'm awful obsessive about research.

Also, I think this thread is one of the best ideas I had. It has a ton of replies already!

I will keep you updated. Oh, and title, I was thinking either Freshwater Aquarium Do's and Don'ts, or Freshwater Aquariums: The One Stop Guide To Freshwater Aquariums. Which one sounds best?

The I Told You so Guide to Fish Keeping! Lol. Or The Step-By-Step guide to successful fish keeping.

I think you should start off with the basics... what size tank should I start with(larger tanks are more forgiving of water issues, etc). Then get into the basic equipment you need (heaters, filters, lights, etc). Then they need to pick what type of tank they want, species only, community, etc.

I think you missed some basics that would go in the first 1 or 2 chapters.

I am going over the main types right now, and then the next chapter was setup, which in the beginning would include the equipment, etc. I can add anything I think I missed anywhere if I realize it. Right now it's basically in planning, with me just starting it. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Basics are always the best for the average person, and I know that most on here aren't average, but u get the point :D
Suggestion: plants and lighting and co2 should probably be a separate book bc that would be one thick book with all that stuff too! good luck with writing :)

I'm going to go a little bit into the plant stuff in this, and then recommend another book that I will write on that. It'll be good for me to know this stuff to write it and for my own aquariums. Okay, I'm writing the equipment list right now, and I know the basics, but my brain is kinda off a little. So, can you give me a list of what you think would be good to add? I already have the tank, stand, filter, heater, substrate, decor... What else am I being clueless about and forgetting?

Back
Top Bottom