Aquarium Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with about 8 live plants. I have a floramax 17 watt flourascent bulb in there now. What is the general rule of thumb for how long you should leave the light on per day? 8 hours?

It all depends on the light and tank.

you can run it anywhere from 6-12 hours per day, starting at 6 and working your way up works the best. If you start to see algea growth you have hit the limit and should cut back a little bit, then after a couple of weeks you can start working your way back up keep it where it's at.

Lighting Duration

I have a 29 gallon aquarium with about 8 live plants. I have a floramax 17 watt flourascent bulb in there now. What is the general rule of thumb for how long you should leave the light on per day? 8 hours?

Hello Aqua...

Most aquarium plants are tropical, so they're used to long hours of daylight. I keep my tank lights on timers set for 12 hours on and 12 off. Provided you give your plants the proper lighting, they should do very well if the lights are on between 10 and 14 hours every day.

B

Back
Top Bottom