AQUARIUM log of a newbie... with questions of course

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can you elaborate more on your lighting suggestion. like where can i find these? and how are you doing it? as of this moment, i have 2 hoods covering my tank and i see a bulb on each. will your suggestion work with what i have?

Since you have single strip lights, you may want to try 50/50 bulbs. Take the bulb with you to the lfs so you make sure that you purchase the correct size. I would first try two 50/50 bulbs. If you don't like it they can always be returned. If you upgrade light strips in the future, you may want to go with a twin tube strip light. But it's not necessary at this point. Plus, you'll notice a reduction in algae with the 50/50s. Thats a HUGE benefit.

high pH: 7.8 ammonia: 0.25 nitrite: 0 nitrate: 0

with my water values i guess my bio-spira did not work.

fishyfanatic,

went out to check out lights.. and oh boy are they expensive! 18$ for an 18"! anyways did not get any yet as i wanted to make sure i understood you right.

by 50/50 did you mean to say a bulb that is really 50/50 or did you mean a different kind on each hood?

like:

hood 1 hood2
AQUA-GLO® LIFE-GLO 2®
=====================
|
55 gallon tank |
|
|
--------------------------------------

thanks.

If you're not doing water changes and you have a constant 0 Nitrite and constant .25 Ammonia, something is going on. Was the Bio-Spira refridgerated when you purchased it? Perhaps the lfs did not store it properly.

A 50/50 bulb is 50% Actinic and 50% pure. The boxes should say 50/50 on them.

yup i did see the bio-spira refrigerated.

i knew there's something with my readings.. ill bring some water sample tomorrow to the lfs and see if im reading my values right.. as i have said, i might be color blind too besides having astigmatism..

as for the light.. . what i saw where HAGEN LIGHTS..
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1140736400594

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1140736400574

so with the hood that i have.. itll not work with a different bulb on one side and a different one on the other side right?

You can use any brand that you want as long as the bulb fits into your strip. You can use two different bulbs (one on each side) if you want, but it would probably look "off".

I don't like PetsMarts website because they don't give the details of the bulbs. But here is an example of a 50/50 bulb (not sure if that is a 50/50 bulb that you linked to or not)
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23705;category_id=2559

I don't know what you mean by the pic that you displayed so sorry if I don't understand what you mean.

oh oki.. so i can get two of the bulbs that you have provided a link on?

Yup, sure can. Just make sure it's the correct size. Pay close attention to the T number and the prongs.

any suggestions as to the status of my water? so i guess id be doing a 25% change this saturday?

I'd go ahead with the scheduled change.

You are using a liquid reagent test kit, right? (can't remember if you are or not)

You may want to take a sample to a lfs that uses a liquid reagent kit and have it double checked.

Definitely take a sample to the lfs to have them run a test. It could be that your test is outdated. Some tests sit on the shelves for a LONG time before being purchased.

water values for today:

high ph: 7.8 (both lfs and my reading)
ammonia: 0.0 (@ lfs) , 0.25 (my reading! whats up with this)
nitrite:0 (both lfs and my reading)
nitrate: 0 (kid at lfs deemed it unnecessary to test for nitrate as i have a new tank)

now, whats up with my ammonia readings? im pretty sure lfs reading was 0 as it had a significant yellowish color with it... when i got home i went ahead and tested myself just to see if i have the same reading.. and its not! i swear i am not color blind because my sample had a distinct light green color which equates to 0.25!

what's more confusing is that the guy from the lfs told me not to do any pwc! fishyfanatic, and anyone else, can you guys please enlighten me with this new found dillema?

also found the actinic lights you suggested fishyfanatic at the lfs. was at 22$ a piece.. am really thinking of getting a light strip either double or like what you have a triple one but am just afraid it wont fit my tank. or anything that would help lessen or prevent EVAPORATION.

ill be looking at another lfs tomorrow and see what they have. . .

also went to petco and they sucked more than petsmart.. .

please oh please enlighten me with the pwc if i need to or not..

Don't listen to the guy at the lfs. PWCs can not hurt a tank. It's a repetitive cycle that happens all too often here. Basically the jist of it is this: Customer goes into a store and buys fish for an uncycled tank. Employee sells Customer said fish. Customer goes home and puts the fish in the tank and assumes all is well. Customer finds problems with fish dieing in the tank OR comes upon an article on the Nitrogen cycle. Customer then asks Employee what to do. Employee sells Customer meds and other water additives. Fish die in the process. Customer then goes back and buys more fish. Same problems occurs again. Customer buys more fish or asks for advice. Eventually the tank becomes cycled, but during the entire process, LFS makes money off of the sale of meds and fish that ultimately die. Not all lfs are like that, but ones that tell you NOT to do water changes, they are. Ok, that was a long paragraph. LOL!

It could be that you have a bad test kit. It could be outdated. Instead of buying a whole new kit, get a liquid reagent kit JUST for ammonia. Then test it. But buy it from a different lfs.

If you do upgrade light strips check out www.bigalsonline.com. They have ALOT better prices than the lfs. And a larger selection. The twin tube strip will fit your tank. The triple tube will be getting tight, but its doable. I would just stick with the twin tube if you do decide to upgrade. If you want me to, I could measure the depth of our triple tube strip and you could see if it would fit. You can only upgrade strips if you have the glass hoods though. The plastic hoods do not allow for the larger strip. If you are interested in glass hoods, shoot me a PM.

It is very frustrating when setting up a new tank for the first time. Just be patient. And ask as many questions here as you need. The best part about AA is that we are not in it for the money. LOL We don't make a single cent off of the advice we give. Now this is not to say that all lfs are in it to rip you off. But you'd be suprised. I have only found two lfs that I feel that I can trust. A few months ago we went to one of them and I had the employee net out the Barbs and a few cories for me. Then we had him bag up an African. Before he even put the net in the water he said that the barbs/cories were not compatible with the Africans. THAT is something that has never occured before at ANY lfs that we have been to.

thanks.. really appreciate your support..

i have an 55 gallon ALL-GLASS aquarium. so maybe you can suggest what i need to get.

am not really sure but think i have plastic hoods. what bothers me is that with these hoods, the only thing securing the hood and the glass is a tape on each side! i remember there was a time when i was cleaning the tank that the hood feel into the tank! good thing the water did not get into the hood! so maybe for safety reasons i would need to upgrade my hoods or whatever. maybe also something that would prevent if not stop EVAPORATION.

again thanks so much for your help...

p.s.
also just got input about the above fish... they are saying its an african jewel cichlid?

Glass hoods will help with reducing evaporation. Nothing will prevent it.

Ahhh, yes, the Jewel Cichlid. I knew it looked farmiliar. I'm not exactly UP on my non-lake Africans. The Jewel is indeed African, but not a Malawi. They reside in rivers and small ponds of African. Not really suitable for your tank. But you could try it. They are highly aggressive, especially with fish that are smaller in size. Comparable to a Kenyi. Not a good tankmate for your peaceful Mbunas.

I'm going to shoot you a PM.

you just cant believe what ive (actually me and my wife) has done today!

went to lfs to just initially buy a 50/50 bulbs and guess what we ended up doing!

we went home with a 1200+ tab! reason? we bought a 130 gallon tank, a fluval fx 5, 2 coralife 36" light strip, a heater and some more stuff for a SALTWATER setup!

too bad we could not get the tank (tank came with stand and canopy) today but will be delivered tomorrow.. am excited. i hope id do well...

hopefully you guys will be up to helping me out, again... will post thread on saltwater forum...

oh back to the thread topic.. . did not do any water test's today. just did 50% water change... thanks to fishy again, the light suggestion really made a difference...

Congrats! You are a true Fishyholic and a sufferer of MTS. JChillin has a doctor that he visits regularly, you may want to give her a call. Her name is Dr. Ivana Phistank. Her number is 800-FISH4ME.

Fishyfanatic said:
Congrats! You are a true Fishyholic and a sufferer of MTS. JChillin has a doctor that he visits regularly, you may want to give her a call. Her name is Dr. Ivana Phistank. Her number is 800-FISH4ME.

LOL. .. . am not really sure if i got what you mean with your remark.. but am thinking it something funny...

my water values for today:
high pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite:0
nitrate: 5

with the above values.. is this something good?

Back
Top Bottom