Aquarium Maintenance Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Day,

Just looking for some advice on products or supplements to better maintain the water chemistry in my tanks. I winter my koi indoors through the cold months. In the spring/summer/fall they spend their days in a 50,000gal pond. My questions are to do with my indoor setup that the fish spend about 6 months in.

The setup consists of seventeen 200gal tanks, each tank has the following:
-960GPH Pump
-Laguna Biological underwater filter with foam filter and biomax media
-500GPH UV Sterilizer
-Top filter unit containing foam filter, bioballs, and activated charcoal
-Aerator

With so many tanks, water changes are tedious. I do regular ph and nitrite tests and use a biological supplement whenever I get an elevated level of nitrites.

I'm wondering if there are better products or equipment that may make life easier for testing, treating, and maintaining my water with a setup as large as this.

Good Day,

Just looking for some advice on products or supplements to better maintain the water chemistry in my tanks. I winter my koi indoors through the cold months. In the spring/summer/fall they spend their days in a 50,000gal pond. My questions are to do with my indoor setup that the fish spend about 6 months in.

The setup consists of seventeen 200gal tanks, each tank has the following:
-960GPH Pump
-Laguna Biological underwater filter with foam filter and biomax media
-500GPH UV Sterilizer
-Top filter unit containing foam filter, bioballs, and activated charcoal
-Aerator

With so many tanks, water changes are tedious. I do regular ph and nitrite tests and use a biological supplement whenever I get an elevated level of nitrites.

I'm wondering if there are better products or equipment that may make life easier for testing, treating, and maintaining my water with a setup as large as this.

Wow that sounds like an enormous setup. I can't imagine maintaining seventeen 200 gallon tanks. Honestly nothing I know of is going to make that setup easier to take care of outside of an automated water change system setup which can be accomplished in a variety of ways. I would certainly look into it because if this is something you do with your Koi every winter it would save you a ton of time and work in the long run.

Was thinking same :) check out some breeders fish rooms maybe? I think a friend has all his tanks drilled and plumbed in to change water by turning a few switches.

Another one uses a powerhead to drain tanks.

I just drain mine by gravity but fill back up with hose after adding water conditioner to tank.

Good Day,

Is there a particular reason that you winter your fish indoors? Koi and goldfish are very cold hardy, especially with a pond that size. You would need to stop feeding them early-mid fall though, before water temps drop. If it's all personal choice that's well and fine, I'm just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom