Aquarium-safe marker/paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have finally started working more on my riparium. So, the silicon I chose is white and very obviously silicon between the rocks for the rock wall around the filter (a mock waterfall).

Are there any paints or markers that I could use that are aquarium-safe? They will most definitely be in contact with water and obviously it has to bond to the silicon.

I have acrylic paints, the brand is Grumbacher. Or maybe could I use like a Sharpie? I would prefer a marker to be quicker, but I can do a paint too.

Thanks.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I have finally started working more on my riparium. So, the silicon I chose is white and very obviously silicon between the rocks for the rock wall around the filter (a mock waterfall).

Are there any paints or markers that I could use that are aquarium-safe? They will most definitely be in contact with water and obviously it has to bond to the silicon.

I have acrylic paints, the brand is Grumbacher. Or maybe could I use like a Sharpie? I would prefer a marker to be quicker, but I can do a paint too.

Thanks.

I'm looking to start a riparium too! :D

If the silicones not dry you can add sand to it to disguise or smaller stones/gravel. Or you could let some moss grow over it. I don't know of any safe paint or markers though. Sorry.

Hooray! It's a lot of fun and creativity.

Well, I have already partially done it. I have used sand on the back, but
I forgot to do it on the pieces already dried.

Hopefully someone has an idea.

Boy that is a tough one... the problem with paints is that the ones that aren't very toxic don't bond very well. I don't know of any that are aquarium safe. What I have seen people do is exactly what mumma suggested - putting sand in the caulk. Can you put a thin layer of caulk back over the dried bead and add sand? I think that would be the best way to do it.

Krylon fusion is safe. I've used it for lots of under-water applications. No idea how long it lasts, but I've had some things that have been under water for a year now with no ill effects.

Wow good to know... I thought krylon fusion was petroleum based which I would be scared to put in my tank. Sounds like you have thoroughly proved it works though.

Yeah, I painted an aquaclear intake with it, the visible part of my return line on my 40b, and several other things as well. Nothing has caused a problem so far. It's one of the few paints that bonds well with plastic too.

True, but you could spray a bunch on a paper plate or something, and then dab it onto the cracks with a small paint brush.

...I use krylon fusion too, with no problems. Just be sure to let it dry for at least 3-4 days (longer if possible) before putting it under water. Unfortunately, no paint in the world will stick to silicone. Even silicone does not like to stick to silicone, once it is dry. Still, a thin coat of new silicone sprinkled with sand may be worth trying.

I may try the sand with new silicon on some of it, though the paint would be easier. I switched to clear silicon and now my problem is solved. But, the bottom third of the wall is in the white. The tank is going to be empty for awhile. I still have a lot of work to do in it before my pearl fighter, Wizard, goes in.

Back
Top Bottom