Aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if rocks from my yard are aquarium safe? I'd soak em in water for 2 weeks but would they be of any harm to my fish? I was thinking about making a few Collumns of 4-5 rocks and then a slate over them and then also, what about slate caves? How much would it cost for the sillicone and a bag of slate?

It depends on the rock, some would be safe for sure others depending on whats in them will kill your fish. I dont remember what all the dangerous rocks are but I know anything with fools gold is not good.

Slate is relatively inexpensive. I've seen it at places like home depot for $10 for 30 lbs. My slate rock is by far one of my favorite things. I have a huge bucket of it that I keep handy. If I ever need an extra hiding spot or something looks uneven, it works for it! I'll attach some pics of my slate caves. This is just slate that has been broken up with a hammer then soaked and cleaned. The last picture is of a tank I set up to rescue some plants. I added the slate rock just so he had something to swim around. It really is a nifty thing to keep handy. It can be used for so many things. In a lot of my tanks I use fake plants. If I have trouble with one floating up, I will bury a piece of slate rock and put the plants underneath it. It's heavier so it usually holds them down much better.

Attachments

• image-4090896187.jpg
    image-4090896187.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 172
  • image-1127001845.jpg
    image-1127001845.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 188
  • image-422735123.jpg
    image-422735123.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image-4266395409.jpg
    image-4266395409.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 177
Thanks! I really like your rock formations. How much would 30 lbs make? I'm planning on making at least 1 cave out if that, Mabye 2, and then som random formations! And then how much would sillicone be? And is it all aquarium safe?

Thanks! I really like your rock formations. How much would 30 lbs make? I'm planning on making at least 1 cave out if that, Mabye 2, and then som random formations! And then how much would sillicone be? And is it all aquarium safe?

Thank you! I actually don't use any silicon, so I wouldn't know anything about that. My guess would be that there is an aquarium safe kind you can use. I just stack the slate and make sure it is really sturdy. It's easy to do because of how flat the rock is. I don't have any large fish that are capable of knocking it over, so it isn't a worry for me. I think 30 lbs is quite a bit, not sure. I bummed mine off of a friend. :lol: my favorite thing about buying it and breaking it yourself is personalization. They can be the sizes and shapes that you really like. :)

CharlieKlein said:

Silicone at Home Depot is 4.99, at my petsmart its 5.99 I think, for me it was worth buying the pet smart one because the aluminum(?) tube from the hardware store punctured itself really easy and I had silicone everywhere, the one from the pet store held up better and was easier to work with.

It's a 29 and I plan on stocking with an apisto, a German blue ram, an opaline gourami, 6 cherry barbs, 4 Julii Cory, 3 otos, and such. I want 2 caves for the cichlids, which I'll be buying cichlid stones, but I also want 1 DIY cave and 1 medium size rock formation

It's a 29 and I plan on stocking with an apisto, a German blue ram, an opaline gourami, 6 cherry barbs, 4 Julii Cory, 3 otos, and such. I want 2 caves for the cichlids, which I'll be buying cichlid stones, but I also want 1 DIY cave and 1 medium size rock formation

I would just go with the 30 lbs. You'll for sure have enough, probably with some left over. Sounds like an awesome tank. :)

Thanks, I appreciate the help! I also will have my bettas 5 gallon tank so I could use leftovers! I was at bachmans( a gardening shop) getting a Christmas tree, and saw these. Their polished river rocks, used for decorations and plant decor. $2.99 for a bag I like 15. I could use that to make this rock formation like thing. The first pic is the rocks I saw and the 2nd is the rock formation I'll try to make, just a bit bigger. Do you think te rocks would be safe?

Attachments

• image-1528062969.jpg
    image-1528062969.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 151
  • image-3909337738.jpg
    image-3909337738.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 225
Thanks, I appreciate the help! I also will have my bettas 5 gallon tank so I could use leftovers! I was at bachmans( a gardening shop) getting a Christmas tree, and saw these. Their polished river rocks, used for decorations and plant decor. $2.99 for a bag I like 15. I could use that to make this rock formation like thing. The first pic is the rocks I saw and the 2nd is the rock formation I'll try to make, just a bit bigger. Do you think te rocks would be safe?

No problem at all! Your bettas would love it. I worked on my Betta tank a little earlier. I'll post a picture. :) I think that would look awesome! I think they'd be safe, but the all of the petsmarts close to me sell them, too if that would make you feel better. If you wanted to do it the other way I would boil them just in case. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I may need to make me one. :) lol. Those are the same rocks that I used ornamentally in my cichlid tank.

Here is my Betta tank. :) he seems to like it better with something to swim through.

Attachments

• image-2574934345.jpg
    image-2574934345.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image-125913542.jpg
    image-125913542.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 115
Anyone know if this is ok? I found this and love it! I was hoping to us this against my dw, is it ok? How can I tell

Ok, another question

I'm heading out to Home Depot for black paint to use on the back of the tank.
I'm gonna buy slate, river rocks, and a terra cotta pot. Are they safe? And does Home Depot have aquarium safe sillicone?

CharlieKlein said:
Ok, another question

I'm heading out to Home Depot for black paint to use on the back of the tank.
I'm gonna buy slate, river rocks, and a terra cotta pot. Are they safe? And does Home Depot have aquarium safe sillicone?

Yes yes yes and yes

Back
Top Bottom