Aquarium Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonomakid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought some Aquarium Slat to help treat my fish for an unknown issue... how often should i be adding it ? thank you

Depending on the fish you are keeping salt can be extremely irritating to the fish and will do more harm than good. Live bearers do ok with salt but fish like cories and plecos don't. Usually for unknown issues it is water quality and nothing a few extra PWC won't fix.

already did a wc... and was told that salt would help too.. i keep cichlids should have mentioned that in the beginning sorry

they are africans sorry again.. i know this that why i added salt.. .just want to know how often i should add it casue it doesnt say on the box

You will probably have to test your water for GH and pH to decide how much and when to add to your tank. I haven't kept African cichilds but have done a little research before deciding not to buy them.

Water hardness has nothing to do with adding aquarium salt to the water. The only way to get hardness in the water from salts are by adding calcium and magnesium salts.
The mix I believe he is referring too has epsom salt and baking soda in it. Sea Chem and Kent both have a product that is for cichlids.

The mix I believe he is referring too has epsom salt and baking soda in it. Sea Chem and Kent both have a product that is for cichlids.

I didn't him refer to any particular product, so I assumed he was adding common aquarium salt, which is sodium chloride and won't change the GH.

yes thats what i am adding.. and did some test and my ammoina is at 4ppm so im doing another water change

What is the volume of the tank? Might want to just do a 100% PWC to get rid of the ammonia.

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? If not, I would consider taking them back and doing a fishless cycle. As for aquarium salt, waist of money and time IMO. Do a 25%-50% water change every or every other day. Super clean water is all you need IMO.

If you have prime for a water conditioner that helps lock ammonia. Large water changes is your best idea.

nope had some ammonia nutralizer left over from another tank i had.. will keep an eye on if the situation doesnt change i will do a larger wc

just tested my tap water to see how the ammonia level was on that and in between and it came out as 2ppm so the probelm isnt al with the fish it has to do with the tap water as well

Back
Top Bottom