Aquarium Water and Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, two quick questions today! Long story short, my neighbor is moving/shutting down his 125g tank, and I have a new 75g tank I intend to setup to put the fish in.

1. When we move his fish over Sunday, I know I will need lots of media/decor from his 125g to bring over the beneficial bacteria. My question is, can I reuse his gravel?

2. From what I recall, the water holds little beneficial bacteria, so it would be okay for me to make "brand new" water at my house instead of bringing over 75g worth of his old tank water, right?

Thanks! :)

You are fine putting new water in it. His gravel also has BB so it would do good, unless it clashes cosmetically with your substrate

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make sure u test his tank water and compare to ur tap, dont want to shock fish

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^+1^
Along with filter size type you will move to 75 and the fish?
I would rinse the gravel if you use it really well in old tank water.
Use a strainer/colander and make sure you DON"T bring too much crap over with it.
For good practice proper testing should be done after "transfer" to track and deal with "mini cyclces" .
Have all new water prepped and to proper temp ahead of time(Sunday is coming):whip:.
I have moved 120's in one day easy .
Enjoy the 125 and take your time setting that bad boy up!
You know this though ?:hide:

Hi Redsea. If your neighbour is shutting down his tank can you also get some of his filter media to put in your filter. This is the best way of bumping up the bacteria in your new tank. In any case you will need to watch your ammonia and nitrite levels as your tank won't be cycled.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone for the tips!

coralbandit- I bought a hang on the back filter, but I may return it if he has a filter on his 125g that could also work on the 75g. :)

Thanks everyone for the tips!

coralbandit- I bought a hang on the back filter, but I may return it if he has a filter on his 125g that could also work on the 75g. :)
If you use new filter use the old media from the existing tank.
Otherwise run both old and new together for 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom