Aquascaping my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I have a 55 gallon, going to get plants tomorrow. Attached is my current arrangement of rocks and bog-wood. I have a huge piece of bog-wood that I am currently splitting into smaller pieces (It's too big to fit inside of my tank) and boiling to remove the tannins.

The current inhabitants are 2 Firemouths, 2 Honduran Red Points, and a bristlenose pleco. I'm planning to get more fish later, but for now, I'm going to get some plants in there.

I was thinking I could get some Hornwort, Anubias, Java Moss, and Java Ferns. I've read that all of these should fare fine with the cichlids. Can you recommend any other plants if possible? Thanks.

Now, for the aqua-scaping. I was thinking I could have a row of hornwort on the farthest point back of the aquarium, covering all of the right, and stopping at the rock piles on the left.

On the rock piles to the left, I was thinking I could add one or two java ferns. When I do add the bogwood, it will cover most of the aquarium, so I could plant a couple Java ferns on there as well.

A few more specifics. I did a fishless cycling. My tank has been running for about 2 months, 1 month with fish. My substrate is play sand. I have standard lighting.

Would all of this be ok? Thanks for your help.:)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 114
As long as you have at least T8 lighting you should be fine with the plants living. If I were you, I would just invest in some fake plants. Real ones will last you for a while, but once your cichlids grow up more they'll start uprooting and try to rearrange them. I'm not too familiar with the Red Points, but if they're anything like the rest...

Back
Top Bottom