Aquascaping poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey,

You all know how long it takes to aquascape and yet at the end, you feel like maybe you could do better. I like this but I need some objective points of view on whether or not this aquascape looks natural.

Attachments

• 55lbs_247.jpg
    55lbs_247.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 182
good to me...one opinion of mine is to have a peak somewhere. If you look at the overall rock it looks sort of square. I like the highs and low look (kinda)...Just for the record I think yours looks good!

This is really a matter of personal preference. It looks nice to me. If you like, leave it.

Chalk another one up for liking the way it looks a lot!

Unless you are entering it into a show, there's only one person that needs to like it, though, and that's you!

Paul

Looks pretty sweet to me! i agree that its really a personal prefrence though. also depends kind of on what fish you plan to keep. some fish like a lot of caves where as others dont. good luck!

Nice arrangement. I think your fish friends will be most happy to move into that.

Just double check your water flow around the setup and you got yourself a pretty nice scaping job.

I think its pretty good. I have about 4 places my fish can swim through, and I hope thats enough. I know fish love a lot of rock to swim through. Good luck with yours!

Caves and shady coves give lots of options on fish, corals, and macro algaes. Nice to see people doing more than just stacking rock up the back these days. Nice to see the sandy parts too, you could have a sand sifting goby with those expanses, after the tank has gotten well seasoned. Are you going to hodgepodge coral in there, or go with a specific bio-tope?
(BTW looks really nice!)

Again, its a matter of preference, but I tend to leave the side glass w/enuf space to clean. Some let the corraline grow on the sides. I did after the first couple of years with mine, then I let it go. Wished I had kept them clean after all after the buildup when I stopped.

Otherwise w/smaller tanks, that might not be as easy.

Still, looks nice.

On thought though, are your rocks seated on the bottom of the tank or just on top of the sand. If not on the glass bottom, be careful about not adding any livestock that will dig under them - pistol shrimp, some gobies, etc.

Another thing. I see the return in the upper right. Is that the only flow? If so, might wanna add a PH or two and make sure you've got no dead areas around the rock where food and waste just sit and collect.

The LR is on the glass bottom, and its just wiggled together until it locked into place. It looks scarier than it is. It's pretty solid.

I have a powerhead behind the left side of the tank and am building a closed loop for circulation.

Wow, I thought you would have used some PVC for stabilizing it or some of that glue that's out there. Good job, looks good.

I ordered some aquascaping putty for reassurance on some spots with minimal contact support but I just had a feel around again for peace of mind... It's quite solid, I'm surprised, some of the precarious looking pieces actually have some back glass support and are nicely wedged in there. I'll see how things hold up once I put a goby in there. Thats my only worry.

Are you going to hodgepodge coral in there, or go with a specific bio-tope?

I don't think I'm gonna do a specific bio-tope, but I am aesthetically minded for the overall reef look so we'll see where that gets me in the long run.

This tank is almost 3 years in the making. I was in school and living in a rental suite so I never bothered setting it up for fear of moving it. I have a friend that has moved a 120G tank twice in the last few years, so I know whats involved.

Instead, I was happy just reading lots and asking questions to local reefers then acquiring all the stuff I needed. Luckily I was a good student and was given a few monetary awards which all went into my fish tank, I never had to dip into the ol' student loan money.

The only problem now is, any money I spend on the tank, has to be matched for my wife to spend equally on clothes....so this is DOUBLE as expensive as I originally planned and sucks cause I like fancy gadgets.:)

I'll add a couple of other angles that give a little more dimension than the original first picture.

Ryan

Attachments

• img_1701b_287.jpg
    img_1701b_287.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 23
  • img_1702b_137.jpg
    img_1702b_137.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 24
Yeah I've got to second, third and fourth that. Tank setup looks sweet! If I was a fish.. I'd want to rent out your tank. ;)

Man I am impressed with that look! Looks awesome! Could'nt really see that depth until the last pic.

Back
Top Bottom