AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my satellite internet went out due to all that Canadian smoke
my wife is with the post office a little over 10 years, sometimes she bores me and my daughter as she talks to much postal stuff .
but I'm sure I bore her too with all my fish stuff lol ,
I was forced to retire back in 07 after a heart attack and being diagnosed with cancer
I under went many surgery's along with a bone marrow transplant ,
I was considered cancer free for a few years till it hit me again , all of my cancer is about gone except a large mass on the back of my tongue and small section in my lower back skull under my brain , so far this hasn't effected me and hope it never does ,I had to be thankful for my heart attack because I never would have known about the cancer that could have killed me,
when I had my fish room I was unlimited to how many tanks I could have
when I turned the fish room back into a bedroom I went to 1 tank , than I snuck one in under my 90g lol than I snuck another next to it , I was to only have 1 I have 3 now and also a feeder tank , I took up one whole wall in my living room, as soon as I can get rid of the goldfish I plan on moving my predator tank into my 40B ,
pretty much though I'm allowed to about anything .

I put in the 1/2 shell at feeding between my puffer and engineer goby its totally clean by early afternoon if I can get the shell I remove it but a lot of them my engineer goby steals for his walls,

Funny, but I lost internet all day at my daughter's, so I couldn't respond.
I also was forced into retirement due to my health in 2008. My husband is an electronics engineer, so all night long I have to listen to everything that happened that day. I don't mind though. At least we're together.
Well, the puffer ate all the clam meat and the shell is still where I put it so I'll get it out and put another one in over the weekend.
I have 4 freshwater tanks, 2 of which are cichlids. Then I have my reef and now the FOWLR. We have decided that when we can safely do it, we will combine freshwaters so we will have a little more room as we are currently remodeling before he retires

we had a big cloud just hovering over about the entire state from Canada's wildfires ,
hopefully no homes were in the path , glad we haven't had any spark up be awesome if we can get through the whole summer with out none. think I was 44 when I was forced to retire ,

I really worry about California, their lack of water and fires. Usually at least 2 good ones in Yosemite. Makes me very sad. Sorry about the smoke you are dealing with. I'd have to stay inside. Asthma.
I installed my filter in the FOWLR. The water is so milky, I can't see but about 2 inches from the front glass. The puffer swims close to the front, so I know he's ok, but I can't see the blenny at all. With the skimmer and the filter, I'm hoping it will have cleared up some by morning. Filter sure does make a racket from the "waterfall".

when I replaced my sand it came with packets of water clear, the tank had to be as white as this page and this stuff cleared it almost instantly , I wonder if it's the salt your using ,
just don't seem right your still cloudy ,

I don't understand either. It is slightly clearer but I still can't clearly see the rocks nor can I find the blenny yet. If he had passed away, I wouldn't know it because the light from the flashlight just reflects back. Will do another water change. I'm getting rather frantic.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Today, the water has a green color to it. Directly in the light, it appears white, but green everywhere else. I cleaned the glass today but there was no more algae there. I stood on a stool and reached in as far as I could. The rocks were not slick, but the sand was kind of hard and slippery so I gently stirred it with my fingertips. No blenny though. Water changes not helping. Don't have enough water to do even a 50% change and still support the reef. Doing 10%-15% daily. Any suggestions?

do you maybe have a pet store that sells ro/di water ,where you can get enough ro/di water to do a few big water changes , could get a few 5g buckets from home depote
to carry the water in bucket and cover I think are around $3.50
I think your right with the bigger water changes, as those smaller water changes are really not doing nothing as it just blends in with all the murk ,
once you get that done you'll probably see a big difference no doubt
resolving the milky green water,
your tank by chance is it by a window if so that could have started your issue
If I was local I'd bring you a bunch of water , I know a lot of the ro/di units are slow
I have a commercial one in my basement that kicks butt

I am running carbon, but there has been no change.
The nearest LFS that I would trust is an hour away and I can't lift 5g of water. I have the Home Depot buckets plus a Reef Crystals bucket. The RO/DI unit can do 150g a day, but I can't. You have given me an idea though. I make 5g at a time in a bucket in my utility sink in the garage. Then I let it sit for about 36 hours before use. I can't lift it out so I use gallon jugs to get enough out that I can lift it to pour it into 5g jugs on the floor. Then repeat. If I were to make that first 5g in the bucket in the sink, then run the tube from the RO/DI unit straight into a 5g jug on the floor, I can make up to 15 g at a time this way. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Still have to sit 36 hours, but it's a start. I have 8 gallons made right now and ready. Will make 15 more gallons before I leave to take care of my Mom. I will do an 8g water change tonight and push it a little and use the water I'm making this morning to make a 15g change in the morning.
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions and ideas.

I haven't read the entire thread, but if lifting the buckets is the only issue, couldn't you get a small dolly or set of casters and make it so you can tow or push the bucket? My other idea, a small pump and a long hose will move 5 gallons quite a ways, I filled my 90g that way.

no 5g bucket are not light I used to lift the whole bucket and pour in to tank
now I pour half out into another bucket this old man don't want to throw my back out,
I like the idea of using a dolly to move buckets around but if I used a pump I'd make a mess ,

the carbon she has been using does not seem to be doing much , wondering if a polishing pad would help any , it keeps my tank sparkling clear ,

Can't use a dolly as there is an 18" step going down in the garage where I make my water. I use a pump with a hose I run back into the bucket to mix the salt, then move the 4' hose to the jug where I store it. I point the jugs toward me so I can tip them up to pour in small buckets I can carry and pour from. I make a mess, but most of it gets into the tank.
I turned out the lights and covered the tank this morning and Live Aquaria told me to buy Kent Pro Clear, which is at home in my mailbox and I'll get and use when I get home, but keep lights out and covered for a couple more days

The blanket I covered the tank with got too close to the skimmer outflow and that of the filter. We removed it to clean up the water that was spilled and the tank is EMERALD green. I got the Pro Clean today but it specifies that it is not an algaecide. I can't wait several days for another product to come in. What do I do now? (Besides sitting down and crying)

Yeah, i already decided that and it's dark. I read the algae tips on your sig, which were very good, unfortunately they didn't apply to my "green water" problem. Glad you responded back. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom