Aqueon evolve 8 reef in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
•Just started to cycle today
•5-8 lbs of live sand
•Around 10 lbs of live rock
•Wave point 12" light
•Stock filtration to cycle
•Purigen & chemipure ready to go in
•Started cycle with half water from my 29g to speed up the process

Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The light is 16w, should be decent for a tank this size right?

How long should the cycle be? Using water from my other tank

NYReefer

Water contains very little if any bb, won't affect your cycle in any way

Shoot I forgot about that.. So nothing is really going to speed it up any?

NYReefer

Some rock from your established system would probably give you a little boost, or a scoop of the sand.

I've had luck adding dr tims cycling stuff, but results do vary. other than adding some material from an existing tank such as rock or sand like mentioned above you just have to sit it out and wait. fun fun I know. lol But the waiting will eventually end.

I tossed a rock or two in from my tank but I might grab a scoop of my substrate and throw it in there

NYReefer

MicroBacter 7 from (Brightwell Aquatics) is the best to speed cycle up or to fix unstable systems . but you need an Amonia source to feed the bacteria.

I think I'm just gonna let it go naturally. I don't think it will take to long anyways. Don't want to risk screwing things up

NYReefer

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420421954.231706.jpg
Just about a week into the cycle and looks to be doing good! Just tossed a little rock with some zoas in there cause they weren't doing so good In my other tank. And they seem to be doing okay. Hopefully cycle will be fast

NYReefer

I had my water tested today. And everything is still 0. The guy told me that since I used a lot of rock from other tanks that the tank probably skipped cycle. Does that sound right? Or should I wait another week?

NYReefer

did you start with Live Sand too ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420847618.095882.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420847628.599995.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420847638.736196.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420847647.474351.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420847885.493333.jpg
No cycle. So I went out and started to fill it up.
2 osc. Clowns one black one misbar
1 green clown goby
Pulsing Xenia
Green button polyps
And I found a bristle worm
Green zoas
Bicolor hammer

NYReefer

Back
Top Bottom