Aqueon vs Python water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at a water changer on Ebay. The problem is that the seller doesn't know what the brand is and he says it doesn't have the faucet adapter. My question is if I buy the faucet adapter for an Aqueon and it turns out that the water changer is a Python can I use it? I guess my only concern is are the hoses the same size on the Aqueon and the Python?

They are the same size, I actually have both (new purchase with Python in it) so I have not used the Python yet. I will look when I get home to see if the connector is different for some reason, unless someone else who has or have both post prior. :)

Keep in mind that you'll be able to get replacement parts for the aqueon, but not necessarily for the python.....

We had a python, part of it broke, we heard they were not making them anymore, so went with aqueon. Our adapters were not interchangeable.

I have the Aqueon and I'm fairly happy with it.

I would rate it 10/10 for filling the tank, but 6/10 for draining the tank. It basically takes forever to drain the tank and I find the vacuum to be significantly weaker than using a 6 foot manual siphon.

Feel free to PM if you go with the Aqueon product. I have some tips on using it. Maybe in the future, I'll just put them in a thread.

Ok, I did have to use an sink adapter from the Aqueon but it threaded onto the Python. So as far as I am able to tell yes. :) I bought the aqueon new and got the python in a lucky tank sale. I really liked the python (used it for the first time tonight) Nothing wrong with the Aqueon though, nothing at all. IMO

mdawg75 said:
Ok, I did have to use an sink adapter from the Aqueon but it threaded onto the Python. So as far as I am able to tell yes. :) I bought the aqueon new and got the python in a lucky tank sale. I really liked the python (used it for the first time tonight) Nothing wrong with the Aqueon though, nothing at all. IMO

I don't even use the adapter it's a mega waste of water I just bought a hose adapter and I hook it up directly to my sink for fill ups and when I take water out I run the hose outside but we only have so much fresh water on our earth so I just want to do my part to ensure it dosent run dry :)

I don't even use the adapter it's a mega waste of water I just bought a hose adapter and I hook it up directly to my sink for fill ups and when I take water out I run the hose outside but we only have so much fresh water on our earth so I just want to do my part to ensure it dosent run dry :)
Odd - I used to have the brass universal adapter for the python and lost it -I brought the plastic version to home depot and all the plumbing guys said with all the parts they have I wouldn't be able to put together one. I'd love to know what parts you bought as I want to make another metal one.

FWIW - To the OP and others - Don't use the venturi part of the aqueon or python - big waste of water. Toss the suction end in the tank and connect the sink end to the sink and run cold water till the air all runs out and water just starts to go into the tank. Then disconnect the sink end and stick it outside. Better yet - fill up buckets with this nasty fish water and water all of your house plants and garden with it. This Tank water (unless it's salt) is really really good for plants. I even water my neighbor's house plants that they keep outside in the summer with it. The plants go nuts.

IvanMike said:
Odd - I used to have the brass universal adapter for the python and lost it -I brought the plastic version to home depot and all the plumbing guys said with all the parts they have I wouldn't be able to put together one. I'd love to know what parts you bought as I want to make another metal one.

FWIW - To the OP and others - Don't use the venturi part of the aqueon or python - big waste of water. Toss the suction end in the tank and connect the sink end to the sink and run cold water till the air all runs out and water just starts to go into the tank. Then disconnect the sink end and stick it outside. Better yet - fill up buckets with this nasty fish water and water all of your house plants and garden with it. This Tank water (unless it's salt) is really really good for plants. I even water my neighbor's house plants that they keep outside in the summer with it. The plants go nuts.

I will take a picture it was really simple you need a brass sink arreator to male hose connector and on the hose end you find by the garden hoses just the replacement part that threads onto your outdoor tap and that's it well a hasp clamp

I've been wondering how to drain the tank water outside. We have a septic tank and it would not be good to empty all that water into it. I'd much rather put that water to good use, especially in the desert area we live in. :thanks:

Can someone fill me in on the way this works? I am already not liking buckets and want to try this water changer.
So, you hook it up to the sink and it puts water in (from the faucet) and sucks it out where? Back to the sink? How do you know how much you have drained?
Secondly, If I buy the longer one (50 foot) will it have very little suction?
Our water pressure isn't the greatest so I wonder if that will have anything do with any of this. Know it will mean it fills slower but will it still work?
I hate to invest nearly $50 if it won't work
Thanks in advance for the help Carol;)

It will still work great I am just not a fan of their attachments I buy my own but it will still work excellent and you will thank yourself everyday

I haven't gotten my Aqueon yet so I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but I've been researching them for awhile. I "Googled" Aqueon water changer instructions and have found numerous sites, some with videos. Good luck.

Can someone fill me in on the way this works? I am already not liking buckets and want to try this water changer.
So, you hook it up to the sink and it puts water in (from the faucet) and sucks it out where? Back to the sink? How do you know how much you have drained?
Secondly, If I buy the longer one (50 foot) will it have very little suction?
Our water pressure isn't the greatest so I wonder if that will have anything do with any of this. Know it will mean it fills slower but will it still work?
I hate to invest nearly $50 if it won't work
Thanks in advance for the help Carol;)
The attachment to the sink has a part you turn - one way lets the water from your faucet keep going down into the sink, but makes it go thru a small venturi -causing suction. This starts to suck the water out of your tank - you'll see and hear the difference when the tank water starts to come out. At this point i like to disconnect it and use the tank water to fill buckets to water plants, or just throw out the door to water the lawn. You don't have to do this, but I do as both the aqueon and the python (which are the same design pretty much) waste a lot of water

You turn the part the other way, and the water from your faucet goes into the tank. You add dechlorinator like normal, but just dump it in the tank as it starts to fill.

How do you know how much water you've changed? you guess! round up your estimate so you use enough dechlorinator - so if you think you changed about 1/2 the water in a 55 gallon tank then add enough dechlorinator for 30 gallons.

I hook my python up to an outside spigot (much more water pressure than inside). I use both the fill and drain functions on it, it's a lot faster than just gravity siphoning. With the amount of tanks that I have to do, it makes a huge difference in time. Waste of water? Yeah, but water is cheap and plentiful, and the plants around the spigot don't mind either.

jetajockey said:
I hook my python up to an outside spigot (much more water pressure than inside). I use both the fill and drain functions on it, it's a lot faster than just gravity siphoning. With the amount of tanks that I have to do, it makes a huge difference in time. Waste of water? Yeah, but water is cheap and plentiful, and the plants around the spigot don't mind either.

I completely agree but fresh water is not plentiful only something like 14% off the water on earth is safe for consumption if you can put some buckets under the tap and find a use for it that would be great

And gravity can be powerful it depends where you are if you are on a second floor and hang the hose out a window it will serve it's purpose just fine

I completely agree but fresh water is not plentiful only something like 14% off the water on earth is safe for consumption if you can put some buckets under the tap and find a use for it that would be great

And gravity can be powerful it depends where you are if you are on a second floor and hang the hose out a window it will serve it's purpose just fine

I'm not on a second floor, and I don't feel a calling to be a water conservation activist considering that there are over 14 million gallons of fresh spring water (from the floridan aquifer, total of 200-300 million gallons daily across florida) dumping into the gulf of mexico every day just a few hours drive from my house.

Well that's there problem we can still do our part so there is still something left for future generations

Set a trend don't follow one

Just my opinion sorry if it offends you I just dee no reason to waste natural resources just because someone else does

Back
Top Bottom