Aqueon vs Python water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow Ryan, I like the brass fitting. I have the plastic but am going to upgrade for sure.
Oh and I understand about the difference of opinion on the waste water, but lets politley post our thoughts and let the OP make their mind up on how they want to proceed. Just a thought.

yeah - brass is the way to go - thanks again ryan for the info - I cried when I lost my python brass fitting and have gone through about 4 plastic ones in 20 years.

One thing's for sure, once you go python style - you never look back.

Wastewater arguments aside - it's amazing how great that stuff is for plants. Especially if you have some dirty fish like goldfish or cichlids. When I was on the 2nd floor and doing weekly 75% changes on a 125 stuffed with oscars and other neotropical cichlids I used to stick the hose out the door after getting enough for the plants - there was a circle of grass under there that was the greenest in the neighborhood.:cool: this was in a beach community, so the lawn was pretty much on salty sand, and still this water helped.

One more option just to throw into the mix............waterbed drain kits. The part they use is basically the same thing.

mdawg75 said:
Wow Ryan, I like the brass fitting. I have the plastic but am going to upgrade for sure.
Oh and I understand about the difference of opinion on the waste water, but lets politley post our thoughts and let the OP make their mind up on how they want to proceed. Just a thought.

O for sure i just tried to state it as politely as possible

jetajockey said:
I hook my python up to an outside spigot (much more water pressure than inside). I use both the fill and drain functions on it, it's a lot faster than just gravity siphoning. With the amount of tanks that I have to do, it makes a huge difference in time. Waste of water? Yeah, but water is cheap and plentiful, and the plants around the spigot don't mind either.

If connecting to outside faucet, I'm wondering if you even NEED to keep the water running for the siphon to work...

Well that's there problem we can still do our part so there is still something left for future generations

Set a trend don't follow one

Just my opinion sorry if it offends you I just dee no reason to waste natural resources just because someone else does

I have no idea how much water it actually "wastes" by using the siphon function, but either way, want to come over and lug around 500 gallons worth of water buckets for me twice a week? :ROFLMAO:

Really though, this is a subjective topic, I mean where do you draw the line? I could start harping on people who waste water by using a flushing toilet or taking daily showers as well. Doing water changes in general could be seen as a waste of water also. Don't let me catch you washing your car either.

My main point was that there is a river system nearby that dumps around 14 million gallons of fresh water into the gulf every day and somehow my using the python the way it is designed to be used is not saving water for future generations? Come on.

If connecting to outside faucet, I'm wondering if you even NEED to keep the water running for the siphon to work...

No, once the siphon is started it flows on it's own. It's a lot slower though, so I leave the water running. It's about twice as fast, which is the difference between 2 hours for water changes and 4 hours, so it's pretty significant. I don't think there'd be much suction on the tanks that are near floor level either, but I've not tried it.

I have no idea how much water it actually 'wastes', I wonder if the manufacturers have some literature on it. Either way I'll keep doing it till I have a complete continuous flow setup going, and like I mentioned earlier, the plants around the spigot seem to appreciate it.

jetajockey said:
I have no idea how much water it actually "wastes" by using the siphon function, but either way, want to come over and lug around 500 gallons worth of water buckets for me twice a week? :ROFLMAO:

Really though, this is a subjective topic, I mean where do you draw the line? I could start harping on people who waste water by using a flushing toilet or taking daily showers as well. Doing water changes in general could be seen as a waste of water also. Don't let me catch you washing your car either.

My main point was that there is a river system nearby that dumps around 14 million gallons of fresh water into the gulf every day and somehow my using the python the way it is designed to be used is not saving water for future generations? Come on.

I know I really don't mean to
Offend or be smart I just saying you don't NEED to use the water to siphon

And Iam not saying everything is a waste of water showers flushing the toilet ect.. Lol I don't wash my car ever I am just saying try to save or reuse it where you can not to go out of your way just save a little. Us doing a our small part everyday WILL help iam sure there is ways I could improve too

And you talking about this river system dumping water into the gulf makes it ok for you to waste water is silly I love to be able to stop That but I am only one person it's like saying well that fella shot someone so it's ok for me to also I know it's not that drastic but the same principles apply sorry for getting so off topic I just want people to see there are ways to reuse their water or save a little water and still enjoy our wonderful hobby

And you talking about this river system dumping water into the gulf makes it ok for you to waste water is silly I love to be able to stop That but I am only one person it's like saying well that fella shot someone so it's ok for me to also I know it's not that drastic but the same principles apply sorry for getting so off topic I just want people to see there are ways to reuse their water or save a little water and still enjoy our wonderful hobby
I understand you don't want to argue, I don't either, but we do have differing opinions and I think it's fair for us both to be able to express them.

I didn't use the comparison to say that it is o.k. to do it, just to show that it's not really anything compared to the bigger picture. This water is going into the ground and being utilized by the plants and possibly back into the water table, so it's not really as much of a waste as it's being made out to be.

I just understand nature to be cyclical, the water came from somewhere, and it will go back there again, it's all in a cycle, whether I choose to use some tap water or not isn't going to affect that on the whole.

There are just so many bigger fish to fry, dumping water onto the ground should not be very high on the conservation list, I'm more concerned with real issues, like animal and plant conservation and pollution. If the siphon function is truly a wasteful and serious thing then supporting the use of pythons and other water changers would also mean that one condones its water 'wasting' function as well, just something to think about.

Food for thought I just like to think if we all did it it will add up and make a dofference and I am tottaly with you for animal plant and pollution but water is high on that list for me too anyway I started a thread in the lounge if you want to debate some more I like a good debate just don't want to hijack the thread also jeta if it's ok can I copy and post you opinion in the thread I started ?

jetajockey said:
It's all good I said my piece, no need to drag it out any more unless you want to continue on it.

Well check out the thread if you want and you can give your two cents I am sure there will be both sides of the argument there

Great thoughts guys, but haven't you gotten way off subject. All I wanted to know is if the parts for the Aqueon and Python were interchangable.

Where I live (high desert) we are on well water and you have to water constantly in the summer to have anything grow. Now is that a waste of water? We also have an above ground pool. A waste of water? Anyway, I want to allow the tank water to drain outside on my plants. So thanks for the ideas and advice.

Maltimomma said:
Great thoughts guys, but haven't you gotten way off subject. All I wanted to know is if the parts for the Aqueon and Python were interchangable.

Where I live (high desert) we are on well water and you have to water constantly in the summer to have anything grow. Now is that a waste of water? We also have an above ground pool. A waste of water? Anyway, I want to allow the tank water to drain outside on my plants. So thanks for the ideas and advice.

Pools are not a waste if water you use the same water

lol you all are great, thats why I love this site! good people good topics and great info.

So does the waterbed drain/fill, have brass connections?

mdawg75 said:
lol you all are great, thats why I love this site! good people good topics and great info.

So does the waterbed drain/fill, have brass connections?

I believe it does but it's been a long time since I rocked a waterbed

I hope this works as good as I have read it does. I ordered it online yesterday. Much cheaper than at lfs. I did quite a bit of research on line last night also about how it works and how to operate it but if I have trouble I am sure I will find support here. Thanks for every ones help!

Back
Top Bottom