are aquariums & fish an investment or liability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_Boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
your thoughts?

you can find some RARE species of fish that are worth ALOT !!
especially the MARINE fish.

and i guess you can bring them to a 'fish show' (if you have show-quality) to get it judged and win prizes.

you can find some RARE species of fish that are worth ALOT !!
especially the MARINE fish.
:?:
Do you want to sell them?

and i guess you can bring them to a 'fish show' (if you have show-quality) to get it judged and win prizes.
The aquarium society I belong to has monthly shows, but we do it for points and at the end of the year, you get a little prize.

To me it is no different than shelling out big bucks for the pure-bred dog or cat that you have your heart set on (guilty as charged :oops: ). It is not "investment" except that you are investing in something that will give you happiness. The chances of you recouping your costs are low, in most cases, unless you get into business, then it is not a hobby but an enterprise.

If I examined the cost of this hobby for me over the years I would likely need therapy and medication to come to terms with it, yet it seems par for the course as the tanks multiply and my interest broadens and deepens. Like a really cool car that cost a lot and depreciates immediately, it seems like a good idea at the time :wink:

Menagerie said:
The aquarium society I belong to has monthly shows, but we do it for points and at the end of the year, you get a little prize.

And really big trophies at our large, annual shows! Rumour has it that the jar show prize will be a $50-$150 credit at one of the LFSes.

Here, here Tank Girl......

Fish usually hit the hip pocket pretty hard, esp. when going for rare and expensive fish. But they are a good hobby, enjoyment and stress relief.

I don't consider fish either an investment or a liability. I have successfully bred kribs, mollies and cories and sold them for cash or credit to my lfs. This has helped me purchase additional fish, plants and equipment. Overall though, my expenses have exceeded my costs. There is an intangible element here in that watching fish is therapeutic for me after a stressful day at work and I am always learning about new species of fish and plants.

I've only been keeping fish for just under three years now and I have seven tanks. I've gone from one 29 gal community tank with plastic plants to what you see listed below in my signature. I have purchased dozens of books on tropical fish and I am planning to add a pressurized CO2 system and canister filter to my 30 gal tank in the next few months as well as a couple of new 20 gal tanks. Am I going overboard :)

An aquarium may be many things but it is not an investment in the convential will be worth more later sense. Jeff

I see it as an investment in better health. I belive studies have shown bloodpressure to be lower after viewing an aquarium for even a few minutes. Its also a wonderful way to get involved with your children. My baby is only going on 7 months but I tell you if she is in a room with an aquarium her eyes are glued to it.

For me the hobby is just a way to be busy. It's a creative process (setting up your tank and planning how it will look), it's a learning process (looking up all you can about the species you want to keep), and it's a meditative process to me as well. Sitting at my aquarium is more pleasing most of the time then sitting in front of my television. :roll:
I know, i'm a bit obsessed, but aren't we all here on the AA :D :D :D

I wouldn't consider it a waste of money, although it can become costly. I personally think it's money well spent. An aquarium serves many functions to me, so it's okey that a costs a bit more then your average hobby (although i could think of hobbies which are more expensive, but that's a different discussion).

It's an enormous pleasure to feel like you can set up your own little garden of Eden in the middle of your bedroom, livingroom, .....With fishies in wonderfull colours if they're happy. whiwh we can take care of if we learn about their habitats before buying them!

In short, no waste of many, no liability, wonderfull hobby. :lol:

Fish keeping to me is not a hobby or a investment or anything short of an obbsession!! Fish are so theriputic i can sit and watch my fish and minutes later i will feel better.

I look at fishkeeping the same way I look at digital phoptography: bote are immensely enjoyable, and expensive ways to spend my time. :wink: I guess you could say the same for any hobby.

I don't think that fish make a particularly good investment. Ask any breeder or lfs owner and you'll find that profit margins are pretty small. The overhead expenses, maintenance, labor, and losses are very high. I don't think anybody goes into fish breeding to get rich. Whatever money they make probably goes right back into their hobby anyway. :D

As far as fish being a liability, I guess they are in a way. Think of the potential losses that you would incur if the tank leaks. I have renters insurance to cover this liability. I suppose I could even buy fish life insurance, if I owned a rare, expensive koi or pleco.

Interesting post! :D

My family and I see this as a theraputic hobby and a learning experience. Where else can you go and almost need a Ph.D in physics and chemisty and actually enjoy it! The cost is appreciable in that happiness doesn't have a price tag.

I tend to side with several of the other posters in this matter... I'm in them for pure enjoyment, but I suppose it's bonus if you happen to win some fame & fortune in the process!

I agree with all of you that there is a therapetic "value" to fish keeping, but getting back to the original question (investment vs. liability) using the analogy of a new car, yea you dump thousands into the latest equipment and in three years you decide to upgrade and sell your used equip, you only get a fraction of its original value. My 2002 GMC Envoy is not worth the 30,000 it cost 3 yrs ago, but i do get alot of enjoyment owning a new car instead of the 1978 Chevey Nova I used to have.( and the heat actually works too) So Investment or Liability..no doubt liability..lets be honest.
(* please note all this means nothing if your a breeder)

Back
Top Bottom