Are my 12000k lights any good for freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Aquarium LED Lights: Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED Striplights

I have the 24 in. I was set on buying other lights, then I did some more research and found out that Kelvin temperature doesn't really matter??? :confused: Do you think this is a good light for a freshwater aquarium? I tried growing plants but they grew very slowly, I'm not sure if that's because I didn't them the right conditions or because the lights are bad.

:thanks:

I have the 24 in. I was set on buying other lights, then I did some more research and found out that Kelvin temperature doesn't really matter??? :confused: Do you think this is a good light for a freshwater aquarium? I tried growing plants but they grew very slowly, I'm not sure if that's because I didn't them the right conditions or because the lights are bad.

Hello!

Whomever told you the Kelvin temperature doesn't matter is incorrect. Kelvin temperature is really a way of deciding PUR (photosynthetically usable radiation) aka the spectrum of light a plant/coral can actually use to help it grow. Now, the difference between a 8000k and 12000k light is more minor. The general range for a planted tank is about 5000k to 12000k so I would say that these lights will work just fine for a planted tank.

I am seeing on the website you listed, that a lot of people have these LEDs as supplemental lighting and not the main source. This is probably because of one main reason, I would reckon to guess that these LEDs have a 120 degree optic (aka no optic). What that means is that the LEDs are not focused and they spread their light out in a diffuse pattern. This is great to reach more area, but what that means is the depth penetration of the light suffers. That would be why I would think your plant growth is slow personally.

I hope that helps!

Tank Lighting

Hello jo...

Kelvin is simply the color or hue the light gives. I use a combination of 10,000K and 6500K bulbs and my plant grow fine. Your 12,000K should be fine too. Just add another bulb or two with a different K. Plants do best with a variety, just like everything else.

You'll just need to research the requirements of your plants and provide it.

B

Thanks for the info guys. Im researching and learning more everyday. Its more about the useful wavelengths emitted. Just because the temp number is the same, doesnot mean the light wavelengths are. A balanced tank is about the red and blue together because of the different functions and because too red or too blue can produce nuisance algae. And par is a measure of photons released(which plants absorb as energy), in contrast to lumens which is about brightness for the human eye, so very important for plant growth.

Sorry, had to explain it to myself.

They said growth light, should be two,thirds red and 1 third blue. Doesn,t blue absorb easier though?

Back
Top Bottom