Are my new fish ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert.trumpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I recently added a molly and a platty to my 14 gallon tank to begin a fish in cycling. For the first couple days they were just fine and now they seem to be hanging out at the bottom of the tank. Are they ok?

Yea it probably is, it's like you eating a gallon if poison slowly, but surely killing you

you need to test the water with API liquid ammonia test. if you can buy the complete test kit that includes ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and i believe ph. you will need these during your cycling process to know when your tank is safe and cycled. anyway you should do a 50% water change NOW to get the ammonia level down. use water conditioner in your new water. this will temporarily lower the ammonia levels. until you get your testing supplies (i assume that you don't have them. however if you do please post your results) do at least 2 50% water changes everyday(morning and night) to keep your fish alive during the cycling process.

just saw the post above about no test kit

Do a 60-70% WC now, wait 2 hours then do a 50% one. Tomorrow do another 50% WC and if possible and you have a fish store in your area take some water to get it tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Be sure to ask them what the exact readings are (many times stores will say "they are okay" which tells you nothing) and write them down. Then get a test kit asap. Don't get test strips as often times they are not reliable.

EDIT: Also if your ammonia or nitrite are over .25ppm when you get the water tested go home and do another WC.

Do a 60-70% WC now, wait 2 hours then do a 50% one. Tomorrow do another 50% WC and if possible and you have a fish store in your area take some water to get it tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Be sure to ask them what the exact readings are (many times stores will say "they are okay" which tells you nothing) and write them down. Then get a test kit asap. Don't get test strips as often times they are not ok.

EDIT: Also if your ammonia or nitrite are over .25ppm when you get the water tested go home and do another WC.

okay I just a water change but we don't have a aquarium store around us to test the water

Then you best get one ordered online and since you can't monitor levels your going to have to do a WC every day to be safe. This will be until you get a test kit or for a good month or so to be safe.

Then you best get one ordered online and since you can't monitor levels your going to have to do a WC every day to be safe. This will be until you get a test kit or for a good month or so to be safe.

After doing the two wc the fish seem to be alot more active im workng on getting a test kit.

Ammonia burns them and the higher the ph the more toxic it is. Just keep doing 50% daily WC's until you get that test kit.

Test kit is a must! I did a fish in cycle with no losses (until it mini cycled when fully stocked) but you really have to keep on top of it to keep your new pets healthy. Good luck, once you can test and post results the prople on this forum will help you adjust your partial water change (PWC) amount and schedule. Till then daily PWC is mandatory.

Test kit is a must! I did a fish in cycle with no losses (until it mini cycled when fully stocked) but you really have to keep on top of it to keep your new pets healthy. Good luck, once you can test and post results the prople on this forum will help you adjust your partial water change (PWC) amount and schedule. Till then daily PWC is mandatory.

Im gonna go look a few places tomorrow. But I will do a water change as you said.

you need to test the water with API liquid ammonia test. if you can buy the complete test kit that includes ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and i believe ph. you will need these during your cycling process to know when your tank is safe and cycled. anyway you should do a 50% water change NOW to get the ammonia level down. use water conditioner in your new water. this will temporarily lower the ammonia levels. until you get your testing supplies (i assume that you don't have them. however if you do please post your results) do at least 2 50% water changes everyday(morning and night) to keep your fish alive during the cycling process.

just saw the post above about no test kit

Hey! I just tested everything with the API Master Test kit (freshwater). Here are my results!

PH 7.6

Ammonia 0.25ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Please give me an overview of some sort of what I should be doing on a regular basis while the cycle runs its course. Thanks! :fish2:

Hey! I just tested everything with the API Master Test kit (freshwater). Here are my results!

PH 7.6

Ammonia 0.25ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Please give me an overview of some sort of what I should be doing on a regular basis while the cycle runs its course. Thanks! :fish2:

Very glad you got your kit. Do me a favor and test your tap water with the ammonia test please

I will give you an over view after you test your tap water

Thanks. How big of a water change would I do? And I assume I.should test it everyday?

Back
Top Bottom