Are my water test results OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesfrancishill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I have had my tank set up for about 2 weeks, it has live rock and live sand in it and have just carried out my daily test. They read as follows

ph 8.2
nitrite 0ppm
ammonia 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm

does this sound ok? And how long do I have to wait before I can put sone fish in there

thanks
James

Do you understand the cycling thing? No nitrate leads me to wonder if the tank ever cycled at all. You've gotta have an ammonia source to kick off a cycle, or your live rock was fully populated from an existing tank. You say "daily test". Was there ever ammonia??

Read this article and then tell us what you think...

Cycle your salt tank

Please don't add any fish till you have read that article on cycling the tank. It would appear that the tank never properly cycled if you have never added a food source for ammonia.

I would have to agree with the others in thinking that the tank isn't cycled. If you'll read through the thread Ray provided, you'll see what we are all talking about.

i dont understand the telling people its ok to use a damsel. why is it ok to torture damsels and no other fish. i understand damsels are hardy fish but why put them thru poisonous conditions. why not use a raw uncooked shrimp when its so much easier and healthier.

please look up fishless cycling

Back
Top Bottom