Are oscars territorial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malcom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a red normal oscar and an albino oscar. The albino seems to be getting bullied all the time and hides amongst the plants. Is this going to be an ongoing thing?

What size are they and how large of a tank are they in? If they have been together for a while then it probaly will not stop, if they're relatively new together they might be setting up the pecking order of the tank. But yes they can be very territorial especially if they're both male. Depending on what size tank your keeping them having two oscars together is a hit or miss situation depending on each fishes individual temperment. Keeping two oscars will take a absolute bare minimum of a 90g tank but any fish that gets over 12" really should be in a 6ft. tank, unless they live alone then a 4ft. tank will do.

So with your fish if the other fish is getting hurt or not being allowed to eat then it's time to think about a tank divider temporary or rehoming the aggressor. Stress has a huge impact on fish and can lead to disease and death.

I have a breeding pair of oscars in a 150g long with each fish a little over 14" and they're days when I come home to soaking hardwood floors from them scrapping with each other.

Last edited:
They are both new together at the moment. Looking at 2-3 inches in size. From what you say i may have to get rid of one or upsize the tank as the one i currently have them in is 3ft

Malcom said:
They are both new together at the moment. Looking at 2-3 inches in size. From what you say i may have to get rid of one or upsize the tank as the one i currently have them in is 3'

3ft

a 75g + tank is recommended for an oscar because of their eventual size. The other thing is the tank width, standard 55g and smaller tanks are 12" wide, which is like a sardine can to a 14-15" long fish :)

I dont suppose you can convert that to litres. Im australian we dont use gallons. But yeah definately need a bigger tank i think. Thanks for the help.

These fish will grow around a inch per month until they hit the 9" range then their growth will slow till they hit 14"+ so being at 2-3" they're ok for the moment but a large tank would be needed in no more than a month or two. You never mentioned if the bullied fish is being hurt or if he's eating. Since they're both new if no damage is being done and they're both eating give them some time to work it out. And this give you some time to decide of rehoming them both or upgrading tanks to accommodate them because neither fish can live in a 3ft tank.

Both are eating fine and the bullied one doesnt appear to be getting hurt. So id say it will settle down eventually

Both are eating fine and the bullied one doesnt appear to be getting hurt. So id say it will settle down eventually

Just keep an eye on them and try to find them a large home and I can assure you'll understand why they call oscars "water dogs", as they have so much personality as far as fish go. Mine are very entertaining to watch especially at spawning time. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom