are these mushrooms? and is this an abalone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasjestyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had this mushroom like things growing on my live rock since the day I bought it, but they've really started to bloom in the last few days. I was just wondering what they are. They look like mushrooms. They close up at night and bloom in the day and the disc to tendril proportion led me to believe it was not a type of aiptasia. Its a matted color, so not like an anemone:

img_1449087_0_33874cd7b5981a059aa507f4fccaf876.jpg

Also, I had a hitchiker come in on a new piece of liverock. I was wondering if it is an abalone:

img_1449087_1_6d715658727c6189b9b174d8a5e9ac78.jpg

I cant seem to get a picture of the 3rd hitchhiker. But i suspect it is some sort of worm, maybe a featherduster or something. I only ever see its tail sticking out of some cavernous live rock. Its long, skinny, flat, kinda hairy, with alternating stripes of black and grey. If anyone has any ideas, I can google them and see if it matches.

i also noticed tonight while my lunar lights were on that the discs of the mushroom like things are glowing in the light or phosphorescent

the top picture are palythoa
the second picture appears to be an astrea snail.
the third description sounds like a mini brittle starfish. they generally stick one or two legs out of a hole and try to catch food that is floating by.

Back
Top Bottom