Are these roots ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JavaMoss

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the white strands coming from this plant. I really dont like them and they look unsightly. Can i get rid of them ?

Thanks as usual

JavaMoss

Attachments

• image-2024809321.jpg
    image-2024809321.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-361047151.jpg
    image-361047151.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 83
Yup, those are called aerial roots. They are perfectly normal in stem plants and can be removed in any way you see fit

Yup, those are roots. I bought stainless steel cuticle scissors specifically for trimming plants. They have a very slight curve and they're quite short which give great control. Is that coming off a sword plant? Quite often stem plants do that because they aren't getting enough of the nutrients they need. Have you tried tucking a root tab in the gravel underneath the plant?

I actually like them, I think they add another natural dimension to the tank. Don't hurt me. :D

Considering it is not a stem plant... I think your roots may be compacted under the plant. I had a problem with a sword doing this and I replanted it and spread the roots out more and it stopped shooting out roots above the substrate. FWIW.

The root compaction thing is a good catch. I've noticed it in some of those plants that come in little pots.

One other thing to look at is if there are runner plants attached to the main plant. It's hard for me to tell in the pics, but I've had it go unnoticed till I started seeing roots in the middle of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom