Are These Snail Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I noticed that there's a cluster of clear eggs with a white dot in the middle underneath one of my java fern leaves.

I have snails in the tank (MTS which do not lay eggs and some mysterious transparent snail species) as well as 4 oto catfish.

I'm pretty sure the eggs belong to the snails, I just want to make sure because it would be so cool if they were form my oto catfish :)

Attachments

• Photo Jan 06, 6 08 48 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 06, 6 08 48 PM.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 100
Those appear to be in a sac and I'd say yes they are a type of snail eggs as all snails don't lay eggs above the water line.

Yep, looks like snail eggs. Could be pond snail, but that almost looks like ramshorns eggs. Get ready for a lot of snails! The only snails I know that lay eggs above the water line are mystory (apple) snails.

Did a bit of research and the unknown snails I have are indeed pond snails. So now I have to decide whether to let them hatch or take the plant out and get the eggs off.

I'm not really a huge fan of snail infestations :O

I had MTS overload in my 36 gallon and the only way to get rid of them was a 100% substrate change.

I'd just snip the leaf tip off. One good way to trap snails out of your tank, especially MTS snails, is to get a slice of zucchini, microwave it a couple seconds till it just gets alittle soft not mushy, put it in a jar (but use something to weigh down the zucchini as it will float otherwise), and lay the jar on the substrate. Snails will flock in to eat it, then just turn the jar upright and lift it out. Remove the snails and put it back. Or if you don't ever want any type of snails a couple assissin snails will kill any other snails in the tank.

I just snipped the leaf off.

Also about the assassin snails... I had a supply of them in my 36 gallon and one day I put about 3 out of the 4 or so into my 10 gallon tank. After like 24 hours, all 3 assassin snails died (their shells were empty and unresponsive).

Now I have 1 left so I'm slowly assimilating him to my 10 gallon's water. They have a 10 degree temperature difference, so I think that's the problem. 36 gal is around 82 degrees and the 10 gallon is around 73 or so.

The temp is probably the issue plus you might want to research to see if the snails have a max temp they can tolerate.

Back
Top Bottom