Are they sleeping or are they trained?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
It used to be that when I would feed my two little platies I'd turn on the light and they'd shoot to the top of the tank ready to eat. But since starting grad school I spend a lot more time at my desk which means I spend a lot more time vacently watching my fish with the tank light on. With in a couple of days all I had to do was tap my finger on the 'glass' a couple of times and they'd shoot up for food.....do fish really learn that quickly?

yup, just think of pavlov's (sp?) experiement using a dog, a bell, and food. When he'd ring the bell, he'd give the dog food. After a few times, when he'd ring the bell, the dog would salivate. It is a learned response. Now, people claim that fish only have a 3 second memory, I don't know about that, but mine learned to respond to taping on the glass as well :)

It's amazing how fish know more then we give them credit for. I can't go near my tank, because they will all come to the top and will actually follow me around the tank until I feed them. It's so neat to watch. :D

my fish are "trained" to come front and center when I lightly tap the glass with the lid of the fish food. I also think they may be able to distinguish color, The lid to the flake food is Red, and I got a pellet food to add a little variety which had a purple lid. The Red lid has a more "frantic" response then the purple lid. Kinda interesting to watch. Maybe its the type of plastic... not sure, so maybe it would make a different sound? Who knows.
But I think that the fish can most certainly be trained... or maybe one could call it conditioning...
As far as turning on the light... I have to wait about a half hour after I turn on the light to feed my fish. If I dont, they are all sleepy and wont eat, but the cories will feast!

FawnN said:
It's amazing how fish know more then we give them credit for. I can't go near my tank, because they will all come to the top and will actually follow me around the tank until I feed them. It's so neat to watch. :D

LOL my fish do the same but my angelfish goes crazy.

Back
Top Bottom