Are we going to be overstocked??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crs1945

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife and I have a 29gal mildly planted tank with 2 HOB's ( 30gal & 40gal rated ), weekly 20-30% water changes, weekly testing (0/0/40)In it are 7 platies, 4 red eye balloon belly tetras, 8 glo-light danios,1 dwarf sunset honey gourami, and 6 panda cories. Are we overstocked?:dance:
Chuck

I have found AqAdvisor.com to be very helpful for figuring this out. I would still get others opinions that know more then I do, but I think it's a good start. Good luck.

AquStockImage.php

Seems like you might be a tad overstocked, but maybe with fairly large pwcs every week you'd be ok. Anyway don't listen to me too much I'm a newbie at this, just thought that website might help you. I have found it very useful.

I'd bump the WC's up to 50% per week. I think trying to keep nitrates at <20 is ideal. Up to 40 ppm and it could be harming the fish over a longer span of time - just my opinion.

I don't trust Aqadvisor as far as I can throw it..... I think you're fine if you devote yourself to 50% water changes.

What are you going to do with all the fry you get? That will end up sending you over the edge.

+1, aqadvisor is fun to toy around with. However it is definitely not very accurate at all: proceed with caution.

If you are religious about 50% PWC's, you should be good. You may also try adding more plants to help keep nitrAtes low.

Any fry are either eaten by the fish or if they survive are moved to a smaller tank then taken to the LFS when big enough.:dance:

I don't think AqAdvisor is foolproof, and they don't claim to be, but it's good to see if you are close to being on the right track. Like I was saying, use what that tells you along with advice from you experienced aquarists.

I think your red eyes and even your glowlights are going to take care of most of those extra fry. You may have some survivors, you may not, but red eyes especially are voracious eaters and get plenty large enough to eat platy fry. Your gourami will also eat whatever he can catch.

I don't think AqAdvisor is foolproof, and they don't claim to be, but it's good to see if you are close to being on the right track. Like I was saying, use what that tells you along with advice from you experienced aquarists.

It definitely gives you a starting point, that is for sure! We were just saying that AqAdvisor isn't something you want to rely on 100%. You can't beat a veteran aquariust's experience.

Back
Top Bottom