Are we done stocking...or do we have room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! My husband and I have been working on stocking our 135 gallon community tank...and having a great time! :dance: We are trying to make sure we have a happy and healthy world for our fish...so we don't want to overstock. (We have both developed MTS anyway and have 4 empty tanks we are setting up and can stock...lol..:whistle:). We would like some opinions to see if we are "finished" or if we can add. Here is the stocking list as of this morning:

5 Angelfish
2 Lyretail Mollies-male
2 German Blue Rams
7 Hi-fin MM Platies
7 Purple Passion Danios
1 Lyretail Guppy Male (only one left :()
5 Gold Barbs
7 Black Skirt Tetra
14 Cardinal Tetra
1 Swordtail Female (her male didn't make it)
6 Strebai Cory
2 Honey Gourami
1 Dwarf Male Gourami
3 Yoyo Loaches
12 Boesemani Rainbowfish

The reason we have 12 Boesemani is because the chick at the lfs sold me all females (7) when we first found them...saying they were just too young to show their color yet. :banghead: So when we were in another lfs a few weeks later I found a tank of all males and we picked up 5 of them. We have always planned to move 5 of them (1 male & 4 females) to the 55 gallon once it's up and cycled (setup later today!!! (y)) but for now they live in the 135.

The tank is lightly planted and heavily filtered with a Fluval FX5canister and a Fluval C4 hob.

We do hope to be able to add one more angelfish...but besides that...we are undecided as to what else to add...suggestions? Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks!

sounds stocked to me, you have a lot of territorial fish with the angels and the Gourami , things will really heat up if and when your angels start pairing up and spawning

xwesx1978 said:
sounds stocked to me, you have a lot of territorial fish with the angels and the Gourami , things will really heat up if and when your angels start pairing up and spawning

I guess I forgot to mention that if angels pair up...we have alternate tanks to give them. I am actually hoping our cobalt blues pair so they can go live in the 40 gallon breeder. :).

No opinions? Advice?

One question I had for Angelfish keepers.....how do I know when two have paired? I know it's more than just hanging out with each other...because that swaps around...and how big are they when they usually pair?

One question I had for Angelfish keepers.....how do I know when two have paired? I know it's more than just hanging out with each other...because that swaps around...and how big are they when they usually pair?

Angels mature around 8 months of age. Not only will you notice two staying close together but first they will start claiming an area and keeping other fish away, then shortly they will start cleaning a leaf, filter intake, or something. Then you will notice at this time their breeding vents will be down (the females looks like a blunt pencil eraser and the males looks like a sharpened pencil tip), and as soon as their laying surface is clean enough they will begin spawning. That is when you know you have a pair... absolute, no doubt :brows:

I find it harder to judge when a tank of that size is stocked. I would add more cardinals if it were me because 14 seems like such a small school for them when you're looking at the tank size and the number of other fish in there.

14 cardinals is a good size school for a tank that size, I keep 21 rummy's in a 220g, which is a nice school in that size tank. In my 220 heavily planted tank I stock:

13 adult angels
21 rummy nose tetras
12 threadfin rainbowfish
9 longfin white clouds
2 Rachovii killifish
3 yo-yo loaches
25 cories
1 bnp longfin albino
3 whiptail cats
18ish oto's
6 rams- 3 pairs now (removed 5 to other tanks)

And often times while feeding I think my tank looks overstocked.

14 cardinals is a good size school for a tank that size, I keep 21 rummy's in a 220g, which is a nice school in that size tank. In my 220 heavily planted tank I stock:

13 adult angels
21 rummy nose tetras
12 threadfin rainbowfish
9 longfin white clouds
2 Rachovii killifish
3 yo-yo loaches
25 cories
1 bnp longfin albino
3 whiptail cats
18ish oto's
6 rams- 3 pairs now (removed 5 to other tanks)

And often times while feeding I think my tank looks overstocked.

lol, I can only imagine.

lol, I can only imagine.

Yet I have so many plants that many times I will come out in the sunroom and maybe see less than 10 fish and maybe an angel. Then I think, man I could use a few more fish. Go figure!

Lol...I think at feeding time there is quite a few too...we have the three levels covered pretty well too. We will prob hold for now especially while I prepare to stock my 55...;-)

I know my husband wants one more angel tho...so we will see what happens. I've also thought about moving 5 of the rainbows to my 55 too...maybe...lol.

Rivercats said:
Angels mature around 8 months of age. Not only will you notice two staying close together but first they will start claiming an area and keeping other fish away, then shortly they will start cleaning a leaf, filter intake, or something. Then you will notice at this time their breeding vents will be down (the females looks like a blunt pencil eraser and the males looks like a sharpened pencil tip), and as soon as their laying surface is clean enough they will begin spawning. That is when you know you have a pair... absolute, no doubt :brows:

Okay that's good to know. Some are shadowing each other but nothing exclusive or aggressive/defensive as yet. It's good to know what to watch for tho...thanks!
So...I would like your opinion as to how many angels I could keep in a 55 planted. I've read a hundred different opinions...but I think I would like to know what you think. ;-). I've noticed you seem to know what's what with angelfish. We are really strict about our aquarium maintenance so I would like to fully stock it. I love threadfin rainbows too...so a school of those also is on the list. Prob similar to your 220 stocking list but obviously down scaled. :-D. Your advice is appreciated....thanks in advance

Okay that's good to know. Some are shadowing each other but nothing exclusive or aggressive/defensive as yet. It's good to know what to watch for tho...thanks!
So...I would like your opinion as to how many angels I could keep in a 55 planted. I've read a hundred different opinions...but I think I would like to know what you think. ;-). I've noticed you seem to know what's what with angelfish. We are really strict about our aquarium maintenance so I would like to fully stock it. I love threadfin rainbows too...so a school of those also is on the list. Prob similar to your 220 stocking list but obviously down scaled. :-D. Your advice is appreciated....thanks in advance

Honestly I wouldn't add any angels in the big tank at this point unless the ones you have, have a body the size of a quarter or smaller. If larger than that considering your 5 have already established a pecking order and most likely see the tank as "theirs", they most likely would be really hard on any new angel, not as bad on multiple angels, you try to add. The only way you could do it is remove all the angels, rescape the entire tank so it looks totally different, add the new angel or angels in the 135, then readd the old angels. Suddenly they are in a new tank and it's often times enough to distract from new angel additions. But there can still be bickering to once again establish the pecking order.

Another thing you could do since you have the 55 is wait to see if you have a pair or two from your original 5, but also if there are more females than males a male can form a breeding trio or even on rarer occassion a harem. But if you'd have an oddball angel if two pairs formed you could then move it over to the 55 where you would already want to have an angel ready. I'd only do 2 in the 55 only because if you do 3 and 2 pair you could have an odd angel out and it would have to be moved from the 55. The 135 is much more forgiving in space for I'd say up to 3 pairs total. I have two 55's and knowing angels one pair in that size tank wouldn't allow an oddball any peace. Even in a heavily planted.

People say do Threadfins in small tanks but I love them in the big tank and plan on adding to my school. They really color up even the drab females that are so washed out when young and with all that room they can really fly around and display to their fullest. Just don't do like alot of people and get all males because of their fins. Get pairs at least, that's what I did, and most likely if you have some floating plants or a couple nice areas of moss they will spawn. Mine spawn alot but then the yo-yo loaches go right behind them and eat all the eggs... :banghead: I actually wish I hadn't taken in my friends longfin white clouds so I just had a large school of the rummy's and threadfins.

I got 13 dime to quarter sized angels originally and raised them together. When the 220 was ready I only moved 10 over as I wasn't sure about the other 3. So after many months I added the odd 3 which were the biggest of all the angels and it's been a few weeks of alot of bickering even with all the space and plants. You just need to decide if you want to do a large group of angels in the 135 or split the angels between the two tanks. Because now is the time to add any new angels before the 5 get any older or bigger.

Rivercats said:
Honestly I wouldn't add any angels in the big tank at this point unless the ones you have, have a body the size of a quarter or smaller. If larger than that considering your 5 have already established a pecking order and most likely see the tank as "theirs", they most likely would be really hard on any new angel, not as bad on multiple angels, you try to add. The only way you could do it is remove all the angels, rescape the entire tank so it looks totally different, add the new angel or angels in the 135, then readd the old angels. Suddenly they are in a new tank and it's often times enough to distract from new angel additions. But there can still be bickering to once again establish the pecking order.

Another thing you could do since you have the 55 is wait to see if you have a pair or two from your original 5, but also if there are more females than males a male can form a breeding trio or even on rarer occassion a harem. But if you'd have an oddball angel if two pairs formed you could then move it over to the 55 where you would already want to have an angel ready. I'd only do 2 in the 55 only because if you do 3 and 2 pair you could have an odd angel out and it would have to be moved from the 55. The 135 is much more forgiving in space for I'd say up to 3 pairs total. I have two 55's and knowing angels one pair in that size tank wouldn't allow an oddball any peace. Even in a heavily planted.

People say do Threadfins in small tanks but I love them in the big tank and plan on adding to my school. They really color up even the drab females that are so washed out when young and with all that room they can really fly around and display to their fullest. Just don't do like alot of people and get all males because of their fins. Get pairs at least, that's what I did, and most likely if you have some floating plants or a couple nice areas of moss they will spawn. Mine spawn alot but then the yo-yo loaches go right behind them and eat all the eggs... :banghead: I actually wish I hadn't taken in my friends longfin white clouds so I just had a large school of the rummy's and threadfins.

I got 13 dime to quarter sized angels originally and raised them together. When the 220 was ready I only moved 10 over as I wasn't sure about the other 3. So after many months I added the odd 3 which were the biggest of all the angels and it's been a few weeks of alot of bickering even with all the space and plants. You just need to decide if you want to do a large group of angels in the 135 or split the angels between the two tanks. Because now is the time to add any new angels before the 5 get any older or bigger.

I understand what you're saying. The tank has had fish for about two months now and my largest angel, a standard zebra, was the first resident along with our pair of German blue rams (I did not realize at the time they needed more established tanks...but luckily we have had zero issues with them...they love the space!). We were moving them from the 20 gallon I had received as a gift with the fish when the angel was dime sized and the rams babies. The koi was added next...about a week later. He was about quarter size at that time and Charlie (zebra) was at least 50 cent piece or a bit larger. I was expecting at least a bit of bickering...setting pecking order etc...but it never happened. They just started swimming together like old friends. I was shocked tbh. So about a week later we added the cobra veil I named Lucy. That went much better than I thought it would as well. She was a bit defensive at first and the koi was suspicious, but Charlie was mellow as could be. The two cobalt blues were added about three weeks after Lucy...and besides a bit of flairing from Lucy, all is peaceful. Nobody has claimed any territory that I can tell...and I watch them endlessly! The blues stick together and the stripes hang out allot. Our koi is kind of the loner...but can be found with any of them just swimming around. There is no pattern yet.
When we brought the blues home...they had been nipped pretty good on their anal and tail fins from the breeder tank I assume. They have been here two weeks and are fully healed already...so it seems pretty calm in there. My husband is starting his 40 gallon breeder build to move any who may pair and turn nasty to as well as having my 55. The rest of our tanks are 20s and 10s...for now...lol. Gotta love the $1/gallon sale! ;-).
Anyway...we shall see where this adventure goes! I've really fallen for the angels tho...head over heels!

Let see if I can get all my angels... all are veils and one a super veil. 3 Koi, 1 Black something, 2 Platinum marbles (these guys have alot of blue in the head area and their bodies aren't bright white), 1 Black & White marble (it's body is bright white), 1Gold superveil, 1 Platinum pearlscale, 1 barely marbled Platinum pearlscale, 1 Blue Platinum (think its color is my favorite), 1 Silver Orange (looked like a dirty silver when little but is slowly turning an unusual silver that shimmers orange-y in the light) and 1 lightly marbled gold.

All of their bodies are over half dollar sized now and up. The Platinum Marbles are getting really big, have to be a good 8 inches from top to bottom fin.

I got hooked on them in the 80's when I first started keeping them. The only ones I've never had and am really really sitting on my hands not to buy are the wide fin Pinoy's and wide fin Ghost Pinoy's. I think they are the coolest looking angels around.

Rivercats said:
Let see if I can get all my angels... all are veils and one a super veil. 3 Koi, 1 Black something, 2 Platinum marbles (these guys have alot of blue in the head area and their bodies aren't bright white), 1 Black & White marble (it's body is bright white), 1Gold superveil, 1 Platinum pearlscale, 1 barely marbled Platinum pearlscale, 1 Blue Platinum (think its color is my favorite), 1 Silver Orange (looked like a dirty silver when little but is slowly turning an unusual silver that shimmers orange-y in the light) and 1 lightly marbled gold.

All of their bodies are over half dollar sized now and up. The Platinum Marbles are getting really big, have to be a good 8 inches from top to bottom fin.

I got hooked on them in the 80's when I first started keeping them. The only ones I've never had and am really really sitting on my hands not to buy are the wide fin Pinoy's and wide fin Ghost Pinoy's. I think they are the coolest looking angels around.

I've been watching those on aqua bid and I doubt I'll be able to resist them much longer! They are soooo gorgeous! I would love to try to breed those! I'd love a few super veils tho...I haven't been able to find any blues with the veils...do you know if its not genetically possible or are they just rare?

Are you talking about the blue pinoy's or ??? I just am first seeing Mellow Aquatics having a few green pinoy veils for sale off and on. I think it's just a matter of time. I personally like those wide fin ones. Have you seen any of the video's of them on you tube?

Rivercats said:
Are you talking about the blue pinoy's or ??? I just am first seeing Mellow Aquatics having a few green pinoy veils for sale off and on. I think it's just a matter of time. I personally like those wide fin ones. Have you seen any of the video's of them on you tube?

I have seen the wide fin ones on aqua bid only...but I'll look on YouTube. I was talking about never having found veil and super veil blues. As for the wide fin pinoy's...I will not be able to resist them! I can't wait to order some...I wish I could find them local. I have mts really bad I think...lol.

Back
Top Bottom