arghh. ..massive ich investation [really4 important .T _ T.]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bra_van_drakh

Aquarium Advice Activist
huaaaaa. .....

haven't got home since morning until, just this night i saw one of my bala shark got lots of ich on his head up to the half of his body, and also both of my clown loaches has an ich, but on smaller scales, on their tails. . ..

FYI :
55gal medium decorated tank [upgrading soon to 240gal]
10 bichirs
2 clown loaches
6 tiger loaches
4 albino aeneus cories
2 paleatus cories
1 panda cory
2 common pleco
2 bala shark
2 buttikoferri cichlids
2 cobalt blue cichlids

i know its VERY VERY VERY VERY crowded, but it'll much more room soon. ..

how am i suppose to clean this investation ??? how much salt should i put ??? how many drops of ich treatment should i put ??? do i need to remove them from the tank for a moment ???
i think my bichirs should be alright since they're more immune to all sort of diseases, but i'm very worried bout my other fish, especially my loaches.

I think you need to use the heat treatment. Slowly increase the temperature in the tank (1-1.5 degrees per 12 hours) until you exceed 85°F. keep the temperature increased until 2 weeks after the last sign of ich goes away.

I don't know, however, if the bichirs are tolerant to the heat.

The Ich treatment can only kill the ich during 1 phase of it's life cycle, so it's really hard to use that successfully.

Please be aware that ich medications are essentially poison to the fish, but they are less harmful to fish than the ich. Some species of fish do not do well with the medication, such as Tetras. Again, this only takes care of ich in the one phase of its life cycle.

I have to agree with using the heat method. Raise the temp to over 86 degrees for atleast 2 weeks after the signs of ich are gone. 1 degree every 12 hours is pretty slow. I normally go 1 degree per hour. Either way just make sure you get the temp up.

I have had a couple of Bichirs and they did great with the heat up that high.

I know you know this, but man are you OVER stocked. I hope you are testing NO3's atleast weekly.

owhh. . ..thankz alot guyz^^

this is very4 annoying. . .this is my first time since forefer.. .

i do check it, and it's ~15ppm

anyhow. . .is it very contagious ??? and will it be a bit helpful if i do a PWC 60% twice a week ??? since besides this ich investation, i've been doing this for 2 months now because of tannins in my tank, and it's much better now. ..

If there is ich in the tank all the fish are exposed. The water changes will not hurt, they can only help. Get the temperatures up and wait it out. Be sure to increase aeration warm water holds less O2.

i added some salt to my tank last night, since i dont have any device that can adjust tank temperature, and guess what. ..this morning i woke up with very much less ich problems, only one white spot remains on my bala shark.^^. as i red the article in this forum, i put 7.6 g/gal in my tank.. .but m bichirs doesn't look very great though, so i did a 60% PWC this evening and added fewer salt in it. . .

i don't really know.. .is this method very effective ??? it does seem like it.. .rather than turning up the tank's temperature above 30 C

Salt can gravely affect your loaches, & cories. Your best method is the heat method. I'd go to the store and get a heater to get that heat up. Salt only will not due the trick, not to mention you are risking losing some of your other fish.

bra_van_drakh said:
i added some salt to my tank last night, since i dont have any device that can adjust tank temperature, and guess what. ..this morning i woke up with very much less ich problems, only one white spot remains on my bala shark.^^. as i red the article in this forum, i put 7.6 g/gal in my tank.. .but m bichirs doesn't look very great though, so i did a 60% PWC this evening and added fewer salt in it. . .

i don't really know.. .is this method very effective ??? it does seem like it.. .rather than turning up the tank's temperature above 30 C

Too much salt can be lethal to loaches.

The heat method will work. You just have to give it time.

owhh.. .owkay then. . .tmorrow i'll go to my LFS. . .but then again, there will be no more other funtion of this heater, since i'm living in tropical islands of indonesia .T _ T. i think it's rather costly here and i'll also find difficulties in finding one. ..

i think these white spots are comin out again since i did a PVC 60% yesterday. . .

Don't forget that the white spots are just the visible portion of the parasites life cycle, so you have to keep the heat up for a while after the spots are gone. I think the article here mentions 2 weeks total at 86F. Anyway, I just spotted an outbreak saturday in my tank, so you're not alone...

majolo said:
Don't forget that the white spots are just the visible portion of the parasites life cycle, so you have to keep the heat up for a while after the spots are gone. I think the article here mentions 2 weeks total at 86F. Anyway, I just spotted an outbreak saturday in my tank, so you're not alone...

I swear its ich season...i have ich atm as well.

glad to hear that im not alone and also really2 sad to hear bout all of ur investation. . .since mine's making me very2 depressed. . .my bala looks better now, only my clown loach that's still strugling with his tail. . .still havent got the heater though, got really2 intense orchestra training lately T _ T. but tmorrow i'll be having a holiday, so i'll get he heater tmorrow noon.

Back
Top Bottom