Arizona Freshwater tank setup. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CitizenSoldier7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I've had a 44-gallon corner tank for some years. Previously, it was set up with a bio-wheel filter and I raised a koi for six years before I had to give him away due to an overseas move. . . I am now ready to get started again. . . I have my tank set-up, but now have the Cascade 1000 canister filter and I live in AZ now. . .

While at petsmart last week, I asked if they knew why my pH remained at about 9 although I was using a pH decrease several days in a row. . . The young lady told me that AZ tap water was hard and that the pH level would not go down, in fact, she stated that their store tanks had high pH and hard water as well, it is just an AZ thing. . .

I don't have any fish yet, the tank has been set and cycling for a week now. . . The water is clear with a slight bluish tint. . .

Do you think think that the Cascade 1000 is too powerful for a 44 gallon corner tank? Anyone know if there is truth to what the petsmart tech said about high pH and hard water being so common that the fish will be fine? Should I add salt or anything else to assist the tank with cycling and before adding fish?

Thanks, JT

I'm just finding out all about ph myself -

What I've found out so far is that yes - fish can adjust to the ph of your tank (depending on the fish and what they are used to) and it's more important to keep the ph steady, than to adjust it to a particular number.

If you do need to adjust the ph, it's better to do that through adding something to your tank like peat or driftwood, rather than trying store bought treatments like ph down. That way you are more likely to succeed in keeping a steady ph. I would guess though, that you are going to struggle to lower that ph, even with the methods I mentioned. It may not be worth it, rather research for fish that do better in harder water.

You don't need to add salt. People used to believe it's necessary (and some people on this forum will contradict me! :) ) but apparently they've tested this and found that there is no benefit to adding salt. Only use it for treating specific problems, e.g. as a medication, or if you want to keep brackish fish.

This is a great guide to how to cycle your tank, in case you've not found it already.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

I don't know about your filter question - hope somebody else on here will answer that one.

Thank you Masha. . .

When setting up the canister filter, how come all the manufacturers have the chemical media in the middle yet every forum I read about setup recommends the chemical media at the top (last media before water re-enters the tank)?

You could always use RO/DI water, but if where your getting the fish from also has hard water and doesn't use RO water I would think you would be good. You could also try seachems acid buffer or neutral buffer. I don't think any amount of drift wood is going to lower your ph a substantial amount.

Thank you Masha. . .

When setting up the canister filter, how come all the manufacturers have the chemical media in the middle yet every forum I read about setup recommends the chemical media at the top (last media before water re-enters the tank)?
Idk? Mine goes sponge at the bottom then chemical then bio then filter floss.

Back
Top Bottom