Arowana questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john_franzwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was debating where to put this thread since this will be my first fish for a while now. I used to keep goldfish, red belly piranhas and I had a planted tank. I was curious what dimensions would be good for one adult silver arowana and what the best food and filtration would be?

Thanks,
John

IMO any tank under 8 feet[ 300 gallons] is all wrong{not a little wrong...ALL}...
This fish is not meant to be in aquarium that normal people have but more for a true fish keeper who grasps the concept of life?
Even an 8 foot 300g is just a sliver of the space this fish truly deserves....
I hope you can do better then 300g or that you don't get one...

I would not do any less than a 450 gallon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO any tank under 8 feet[ 300 gallons] is all wrong{not a little wrong...ALL}...
This fish is not meant to be in aquarium that normal people have but more for a true fish keeper who grasps the concept of life?

To expand on this, some types grow to over 4' in length so it comes more down to tank dimensions than gallonage. It's a top swimmer so a short deep tank is not as preferred as a long shallow tank. However, a long deep tank helps to show off the fish. Keep in mind tho that they are huge jumpers so a heavy cover will be required to keep the fish inside the tank when it's natural instinct is to jump out of the water to catch a bug hanging on your ceiling. ;) :lol:
So I suggest you pick a type then get or build a tank more appropriate for that type. (y)

I would not do any less than a 450 gallon.

To expand on this, some types grow to over 4' in length so it comes more down to tank dimensions than gallonage. It's a top swimmer so a short deep tank is not as preferred as a long shallow tank. However, a long deep tank helps to show off the fish. Keep in mind tho that they are huge jumpers so a heavy cover will be required to keep the fish inside the tank when it's natural instinct is to jump out of the water to catch a bug hanging on your ceiling. ;) :lol:

So I suggest you pick a type then get or build a tank more appropriate for that type. (y)

My plan is to build a 3 foot tall and 6 foot by 6 foot but you mentioned it would need to be at least eight feet so I will probably make one of the 6 feet 8 so it has the right size, I will have a weighted roof so it can not be broken, I also will have one wet dry filter and another undetermined filter for the tank to have two running!

I kept one in a 150 till he got big then he went into my pond. A herring got him. He was my favorite fish. A fish that breaths air. I used to feed him mice. The kids loved that. If you ask me he should not be in a fish tank unless you have one in the thousnd plus size.

I kept one in a 150 till he got big then he went into my pond. A herring got him. He was my favorite fish. A fish that breaths air. I used to feed him mice. The kids loved that. If you ask me he should not be in a fish tank unless you have one in the thousnd plus size.

Ok thanks

I've come to the conclusion that I probably shouldn't get an arowana

He gre to almost 2 feet in about 16 months. Put him in a 29 by about 13 foot pond not square but roughly that size and after 6 months in it he looked confined. Still can't believe a herring could eat him. But thats what my wife said she saw.

He gre to almost 2 feet in about 16 months. Put him in a 29 by about 13 foot pond not square but roughly that size and after 6 months in it he looked confined. Still can't believe a herring could eat him. But thats what my wife said she saw.

I don't doubt it I've heard of herring taking koi

If you really like arowana consider getting a Jardini.

Look into some of uarujoeys videos. He has kept arowanas for as long as I can remember.

i would recomend cuting the sizes,a silver dosent need 2 or 3 feet of space, the are goodwith 18 or even 12 inches, if i was to build this tank i would make it 18 inces tall, 12 feet long and 3 feet wide, that would be a good one, i am going to make a tank 2 feet tall 3 wide and 10 long

Get a pond. Anything else is torture

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom