Arowana!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J1Time

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so. I picked up an Arowana today for $3.99. A steal I know. And yes I know how big they get. Long question short. I have him in a 10 gallon grow out tank. Nothing in the tank but him. No gravel decor nothing. Do I need anything in it? Can't seem to get him to eat. Ideas? Tried pin head crickets blood worms flake and pellets. Think he just needs time?

Let me tell you now, take him back! Yes 399 is a good deal, but unless your willing to spend thousands on a 200+ gallon tank, it's not worth it! Dude, I'm not trying to be mean, but IMO, unless you do plan on getting a 200 or more gallon tank, it's probably best to take him back.

Let me tell you now, take him back! Yes 399 is a good deal, but unless your willing to spend thousands on a 200+ gallon tank, it's not worth it! Dude, I'm not trying to be mean, but IMO, unless you do plan on getting a 200 or more gallon tank, it's probably best to take him back.

I'm with this. Unless you have a 6'+ tank to put him in (at least 200g) it is best to take him back. They get to be massive fish and require a lot of swimming space.

Like I said. Clear on the tank size. I have a tank to move to then another after that. I doubt a 3inch fish is stressed from a 10gallon tank.

Like I said. Clear on the tank size. I have a tank to move to then another after that. I doubt a 3inch fish is stressed from a 10gallon tank.

Bro, first, what size tank is next? He's going to need a 200 gallon tank for when he's fully grown, unless he's stunted; which will really cut down his life span. Yes he be stressed from too small of a tank. I know what situation you're in, i had a bala shark in a 10 gal and it didn't last too long before he died. With his rate of growth, you better plan on getting a bigger tank every few months! Dude, I'm not trying to be mean, but it's a fish that will get to be 4 feet. We're not talkin about goldfish, we're talking about a very large and active fish that WILL need a large tank (as I said, 200+ gallons).

What tanks do you have? And regardless of how small he is in that one, due to how fast they grow and how big they do get, should at least start him in a larger tank.

As food food, have you tried frozen brine shrimp or scallop pieces?

Tried frozen, brine and blood worms nothing. Thinking it's just moving stress. Next he will got to a 130 when he's a bit bigger and I flees he find his food. From there into a plywood tank I'm working on now.

Again. Don't feel like he was finding food. Big tank for a baby fish. I mean he is tiny.

IMO a 3" arowana will be ok in the 10g but not for long as you already know. One of my favorite fish, unfortunately I had to re-home each and every one I had, they just grow and grow.
If you plan on keeping it for a while go for the longest tank you can get and don't forget to put a good cover on the tank, this fish are jumpers, I lost a couple that way and the weird thing is they'll find a hole in the cover to jump through, at least that was my experience.
Good luck.

Getting them to start eating is no fun until eventually they do. I used to feed mine frozen brine shrimp at that size then frozen and freeze dried krill even pieces of store bought fish.

Yeah he's ok for now, but with his growth rate, he'll either become stunted in no time, or your going to have to upgrade. Why not put a little fish in a large tank? I have a friend with a 4 inch oscar in a 75 gal, yeah the fish is small, but not for long!! And it's less stressful for him to be in his permanent home than to be moved every time you need to upgrade! :)

Yeah he's ok for now, but with his growth rate, he'll either become stunted in no time, or your going to have to upgrade. Why not put a little fish in a large tank? I have a friend with a 4 inch oscar in a 75 gal, yeah the fish is small, but not for long!! And it's less stressful for him to be in his permanent home than to be moved every time you need to upgrade! :)

You keep missing my point. My tank is to big for him to find food. I placed him in the small tank because he is the size if a beta right now. Unless he grows 6 inches tonight I doubt he will be stunted.

Try some small live crickets to get him eating. They hunt food on the surface, so crickets could do the trick

You keep missing my point. My tank is to big for him to find food. I placed him in the small tank because he is the size if a beta right now. Unless he grows 6 inches tonight I doubt he will be stunted.

So basically he was to small for your other tank? I gotcha now ;) I'm just sayin that I'd probably best to keep him in a bigger tank :)

Back
Top Bottom