Arrow crab and Hawaiian feather duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tncoe18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Are arrow crab and hawaiian feather duster combatile? My hawaiian feather duster was fine until my arrow crab arrived. The feather duster is leaving its tube, it seems to be in pain. I do not see the arrow crab physically being harmful to the feather duster, but who knows.
I also read that once the feather duster is under extreme disturbance, it will leave its tube and stay in live rock.
What is your suggestion? Should I return the crab? What is going on between the two?

Thanks!

I dought its the crab. Feather dusters will leave there tube if unhappy to look for more suitible conditions.

On a side note, arrow crabs are carnivorous and will consume feather dusters if they can get to them, whether this is the case or not...

I just got home from work and found out that the duster's head fell off its body, and the body is out of the tube, dead too.

I knew it was in pain, I knew it was dying :(
RIP prety Hawaiian feather duster.

I can't think of any reason what caused it though. And yes, the arrow crab is the number one suspect.

It might not be dead if it tossed it`s crown. It does this when it is stressed. Mine tossed his and later on it grew back better than ever. The worm out of the tube is not good though. Hopefully it will make it but it might not also. Good luck.

If unhappy it will remove its crown and relocate leaving its cacoon behind. They spin a cardboard like outer shell for defense. Inside they look like a grub worm kinda. So if you see its cacoon then it might still be alive but unhappy. Some tank specs would really help.

Back
Top Bottom