Arthur's Exotic Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright so in my tank I have a variety of fish and animals. First up is Dibs, my Musk Turtle. He is about the size of my thumb and super cute to watch. He is all a pain in the bum because he tries to get out of the tank. Today I found him ontop of the heater(like out of the water on the dial) and a few days ago my brother noticed him walking on the carpet in the dining room. Smart little guy. I have moved the heater so he does not get out again. Next up is my Fire Eel, Gyarados. He is about 4.5-5 inches long and a sneaky little bugger. Gyardos and Dibs love to hide from me. Right now Gyarados is hiding under the heater.I also have four Pepper Cory Catfish that I call my kitties(naming each and keeping track would be impossible). I also have a Bala Shark named Baal(pronounced like Christian Bale's last name). Finally I have three Angelfish. The biggest and most voracious of the group is Goldylock, a Gold Veil Angelfish. He only has one trailingfin thing, hence the name. MRI would be the next up. He is an X-Ray Angelfish, so I can see all his organs. Lastly we have Blackie(mom named him), a Black Veil Angelfish. I don't have pictures of everybody, but when I get my camera back I'll be sure to post up.

Old photo, he is bigger now
img_1164490_0_87fe5fa4b9162ec48145ecc6a4f5fbc8.jpg

I no longer have the mondo grass
img_1164490_1_06899f016e5d814fa7df562e8346ff92.jpg

I no longer have the bamboo and this only 2 cories. Getting all four in one shot is near impossible.
img_1164490_2_4c634f0677c6c54361a86f164294ee9b.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Nice fish!

Unfortunately, I suspect many will die shortly. The fire eel is a predator and the bala gets huge. The turtle needs a substantial piece of "land" and is probably showing that need through the escape attempts. The bamboo will also rot eventually since it's non-aquatic. Sorry to be the bearer of the news....

Nah I got everything covered. The musk turtle is totally aquatic can survive without land through its tongue, the bamboo has been gone since about week 2 or 3. I was told at the pet shop he would try to escape so be careful, and I didnt take the advice. I asked alot about the eel. He is semi agressive just like all the other fish and supposedly should do fine. Now when he gets to 3-t feed I'll probably move him to another tank or sell him. Same for the Bala.

Will an adult fire eel do well in tank with Convict chiclids and Red Tiger Oscars?

Last edited:
You have read about stunting right?

Yep. And? Everything has room to grow except for maybe the Bala once it gets bigger, but at that point its either going to a new tank or going back to the store for another fish. As of now, it has plenty of room. I think I have all my bases covered but thanks for trying to make it look otherwise.

Nice edit. "Nope. Enlighten me" was the original. Did you bother to click the link?

I'm not trying to do anything other than help you and your fish out. If you want a blanket "atta boy, good job" when mis-stocking, I'm not the guy. Sorry, I'll speak my mind. You have too many, inappropriate fish, in improper groups and seem to want to be encouraged. But, I'm sure based on your responses that you already know all of that and have a "plan". Good luck, I really do wish you all the best.

HN1 is trying to help you help your fish. If you choose to not take the advice, that is your choice. You will find that most people will be more interested in not taking advice of the pet stores. Their advice is to their benefit. When you lose fish, you go and buy more. Hence benefiting them.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you will look into the link HN1 has given you.

Trust me I have a plan. My fish wont get stunted and I understand your concern for me and my fish. If I think something is amiss I will either come straight to this forum or call my LFS. But, alas, enlighten me why is my tank miststocked. From what I can tell,everything is semi agressive, in inches it all is less than 37, excluding the eel. I have had the angel fish for about two monhts and they are happy campers. I have had the turtle with them for two weeks with no sign of conflict. I have had the bala with them for a week and they are still happy campers. I added the eel yesterday so we will see how things go. SO I might be a little overstocked with the eel, but the bala will eventually leave the tank anyway. I don't see anything wrong. I still might have room for another fish, excluding the eel

Also I have raised stunted animals before and I know the side effects, so don'tpreach to me. My turtles had everything they needed to grow and live happy and full lives and they still were stunted even though their environment was perfect for growth. I not only know what stunting is I have experience with it. I just did not know the word for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize that most of the fish you have live for 3-10 YEARS right. Basing success on two weeks or two months is almost laughable. I'd laugh if it weren't for the fish. I'm done. Good luck.

And BTW, I do not appreciate the langauge or skirting the filters. Your post is reported.

Inches per gallon, even as applied to adult size of fish (as it was meant), is a completely misleading measure of stocking and is just another one of those perpetuated myths that is holding many fishkeepers back from success. As has been said previously, the tank is mis-stocked not only in terms of adult size, but in terms of compatibility. We have nothing to gain by giving you bad advice, which is apparently more than can be said for your LFS.

severum_mama: I am fully aware of those things mentioned by you and HN1, I just wanted the mythical adn real aspects to be covered. My fish seem to get along together quite well. If something is amiss I will correct the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty clever Defecator. Congrats on the smartest thing you will probably ever accomplish. Goodbye.

Lol I graduated high school without going to school for four months that easily tops this battle of wits. But you made me smile. Which is hard in my dark times. So <3 for you. You are also not the first person to come up with that so don't consider that witty. I have been using this as my alias for over four years, Defecator is like an old memory trapped in the hellstorm that is my mind. You keep saying goodbye but just keep coming back for more. Makes me smile once more.

Last edited:
You know, if you're not open to any kind of criticism about your setup, then don't post about it on a public forum. Period. You can't expect to post here and not hear others' opinions.

"I not only know what stunting is I have experience"....So I guess you know that you don't use the size of the baby fish or turtle to estimate the amount of you bio-load. You have to take the adult size and with that you are grossly over stocked. IMO

I think that people who can dish it out but cant take is just wrong. Now you have come here for OUR advice yet you shoved it right back into our faces and up our noses so just take some cristicism and help. Please.

This is probably the third or foruth time I have said this, the Bala shark WILL NOT reach full size. By the time he is too big he will be gone, if not earlier. I am considering the adult size, but not all fish will be there at adult size. Funny how 5 people from 3 different stores never mentioned any problems with this setup, other than the bala shark may create stress since he is a fast swimmer and the angels are slow moving. But my bala is rather calm and slow moving unless startled, but if he gets scared then everyone usually gets scared

noone answered if a live adult fire eel will be ok with covict cichlids and red tiger oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom