Article on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
( My problem was always running water. I'd walk away for a minute then there would be a flood on the floor by the time I got back.:eek: :lol:)

Who hasn't!:agree:

Glad you are on board, knowledgeable chap. Yes it is conclusive, free form ammonia is less prevalent in a lower pH solution.

Maybe my total clean and following midweek change knocks out any danger?

I should test it but why change what isn't broken!

All fish are equal in my eyes. Even yours!
I'm an animal lover, I still eat meat but I care about creatures, even things that would eat me!

I said to somebody, we have to look after their world because they are indifferent, they just go about business as is programmed into each creature, it's up to us to keep the world ticking.

That's the simplified version!

Yes it concerns me, I know the feeling of fish loss, even old fish. It must feel the same to you? So I don't want you to feel like that.(y)

Thanks Andy, very interesting. My tank has a gravel substrate, and fairly high ph.

I would guess that sand and gravel also differ in that detritus gets in among gravel more easily than with sand, so possibly gravel vacuuming is more neccesary...no idea :)

Thanks Andy, very interesting. My tank has a gravel substrate, and fairly high ph.

I would guess that sand and gravel also differ in that detritus gets in among gravel more easily than with sand, so possibly gravel vacuuming is more neccesary...no idea :)

Detritus is detritus, sand is more difficult to clean. Sand suffers from compaction in a way that gravel doesn't.

Normally you lose sand when cleaning, it needs "topping up" periodically. Gravel stays put.

That's basically it, sand in my mind should be used when necessary (species dependent) as it is a headache to maintain unless in a thin layer.

That's just a load of rubbish. It's effectively just derived from the 1 inch per gallon rule which is inherently flawed. There is no reference to any of the issues associated with overstocking and subsequently how to address them. In short it's a load of rubbish and looks like the sort of thing a fish salesman would say to sell more bala sharks and clown loaches.

Cynic wins!

I have just re-read this entire thread, nobody has mentioned fish mass!

The mass of a fish will have an effect on the oxygen budget. This is a good point that will bring to question the inch per gallon rule.

Another point, gallons? Imperial or American. There is a big difference in volume.

Which way do I measure the fish?

Both fish are one inch long
Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (black widow tetra)
Hemigrammus erythrozonus (glowlight tetra)

The black widow is 5-6 times the mass of the glowlight.

The same number of each in an identical tank, black widows lose lives.

I have just re-read this entire thread, nobody has mentioned fish mass!

The mass of a fish will have an effect on the oxygen budget. This is a good point that will bring to question the inch per gallon rule.

Another point, gallons? Imperial or American. There is a big difference in volume.

Which way do I measure the fish?

Both fish are one inch long
Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (black widow tetra)
Hemigrammus erythrozonus (glowlight tetra)

The black widow is 5-6 times the mass of the glowlight.

The same number of each in an identical tank, black widows lose lives.

I think you need to reread Rivercats' post @#5. He does mention a number of things to consider including fish weight and fish size. :brows: My post also said that "common sense" needed to be used when stocking. ( But I'm not knit picking :D)
You make a good point regarding what type of gallon( U.S. or Imperial). I think most of the world would convert the volume into liters anyway so it might not be as big an issue unless you are in the U.S. ( We're behind the times, what can I say? :lol: )
I think it really boils down to: How much food goes into a fish and how much poop comes out of a fish to determine how much water is necessary to keep all that from creating a toxic environment. :blink: I'm old school, I use my eyes ;) :) Then you need to take into account, how much do the fish swim to know if that volume should be in a long tank or a shorter tank. Then you need to take into account a whole bunch of other factors. This is why impulse buying of fish is such a bad thing to do. (And I used to sell them in stores so I know what I'm talking about.) I always discouraged this type of sale. It usually turned out bad for business.

(y)

I think you need to reread Rivercats' post @#5. He does mention a number of things to consider including fish weight and fish size. :brows: My post also said that "common sense" needed to be used when stocking. ( But I'm not knit picking :D)
You make a good point regarding what type of gallon( U.S. or Imperial). I think most of the world would convert the volume into liters anyway so it might not be as big an issue unless you are in the U.S. ( We're behind the times, what can I say? :lol: )
I think it really boils down to: How much food goes into a fish and how much poop comes out of a fish to determine how much water is necessary to keep all that from creating a toxic environment. :blink: I'm old school, I use my eyes ;) :) Then you need to take into account, how much do the fish swim to know if that volume should be in a long tank or a shorter tank. Then you need to take into account a whole bunch of other factors. This is why impulse buying of fish is such a bad thing to do. (And I used to sell them in stores so I know what I'm talking about.) I always discouraged this type of sale. It usually turned out bad for business.

(y)

He is a she!

Fish activity is important. What did I say earlier about "the illness" it rears it's ugly head again!

I can't delete it now!

My excuse? All the jibber jabber!

I use ten times fish length=tank length (active species)
And six times fish length=tank length (sedentary species)

This is a minimum guide, it has flaws.

This thread has been cleaned up. Any more bickering will result in closure. Please also keep this thread on topic.

Off topic discussion after warned to stop and discussion of mod actions in public are both against the site rules. Please take a few minute to review the rules that you agreed to when you joined our site and abide by them.

Back
Top Bottom